• Announcements

• GeorgiTsatsev

Some Agents Stopped Working   10/30/17

Dear Domotz Users,    

Symptom
      Please be aware that we are currently experiencing a problem on some Domotz Agents that marks them offline and makes them unreachable. This is primarily affecting the users outside of the US/North American countries.  Domotz is actively working on the resolution of this issue to minimize the impact to you and your customers.

Agents Affected
      QNAP
      Synology
      Raspberry Pi
      Virtual Machine - Debian
      Domotz Boxes   Agents that were affected were running older versions of the Domotz Package (older than 2.1.4).   Agents that had the latest package should not be affected by this issue (2.1.4 or higher).   Root Cause
      Domotz is constantly updating the agent software to improve features and ensure device and network security.   In this instance, Domotz was doing a routine agent upgrade and Agents that had older versions of the package running on the hardware ended up in an offline state.  

Resolution
      Domotz is actively working to bring back Domotz Boxes.  We have been able to recover a majority of the Domotz Boxes that had this issue through the Provisioning channel (a parallell channel to the software, mainly used for maintenance and provisioning).   For QNAP, Synology, Raspberry Pi and VM installations, it may be necessary for you to reinstall the latest Domotz software.  
      You can find instructions for updating to the latest version for the Raspberry Pi and VM version might be found on the Domotz Portal (https://portal.domotz.com --> Domotz Software --> Install Instruction for Raspberry Pi and Debian).   The new package (2.1.4) has been published on the QNAP store (available for x86-64 models and ARM x41 models (x31+, x31P, x31P2, x31X, X35) with QTS 4.3.0 and above), and on the Synology store.   We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this outage. We appreciate the fact that this affects your operations and will do our best to minimize the impact.    Regards,
      The Domotz Support Team
j0nz

Agent removing old detected devices

13 posts in this topic

I am looking to use domotz in an environment like a motel to monitor the wifi access points, router etc. As it is a motel there are a large number of devices that are connected for a short period of time and then leave. I understand no making them interesting or monitored and not enabling the alerting for new devices but how are these short term devices removed from the device list? 

You can remove one by one (only agents not online can be deleted) from the Info panel of each device.

We are thinking of adding a button like "remove all devices that have been unactive for X days". But we have loads of things to do and can't tell you when this will come

Are there any issues with having the list grow and grow? 

Am I correct in thinking that I have read somewhere the clients are recorded by mac address (not IP address) and so even though they may have the same DHCP ip address assigned they will be listed as a new device as they have a different mac address? 

Oh and +1 for  "remove all devices that have been inactive for X days"

Edited by j0nz

Yes we keep track of each MAC address. The good thing is that you may keep track on when they entered the network, left and so on....

I do not expect any issue with the list growing, But definitely I understand it can  become annoying to have a endless growing list. And definitely there might be some performance issues in the app if you start having a thousand or more devices.... I think we need to raise the priority of some periodical cleanup

thanks... I will install it for a week or so and let you know how it performs.... 

suggestion

put guest network on a separate vlan and restrict the agents access to that vlan, this will prevent guest devices from showing up

Great suggestion for a new site or where you can make changes but looking to implement monitoring on existing networks with as little change as possible. With wifi networks and devices moving in and out will become more of an issue (unless vlan as per the suggestion)

any update on progress for this. 

As the lists continue to grow it would be quite useful to have the unassigned devices below the named and configured devices in the list of all devices. At the moment you need to scroll through all the unassigned and un configured devices to see the ones that are important. Yes the filtering is good and very useful but I would still like the ones that I have configured to come fist in the grouped list 

Finally implemented!

We have just added a new feature allowing to do a bulk delete of offline devices.

It is in the webapp (will be in the mobile app within few days).

1. Go to the Device list within an agent

2. Select the "Offline" filter.

3. at the bottom a button "Remove offline devices" will appear.

Wonderful!  Was getting tired of seeing 300+ devices when there's really 70-80~.

Any plan to implement the aforementioned "remove all devices that have been unactive for X days"?

On 6/9/2016 at 6:24 PM, Silvio said:

You can remove one by one (only agents not online can be deleted) from the Info panel of each device.

We are thinking of adding a button like "remove all devices that have been unactive for X days". But we have loads of things to do and can't tell you when this will come

No plan yet for the "remove all devices that have been unactive for X days".

But please note that, if you delete all:

-  you will still see then back online (of course)

-  our "alert on new devices" is pretty clever: it will also tell you when a previously deleted re-appears and tells you when. If you have it enabled  you will get an email with subject:

Subject: "XXX has reappeared at <agent_name>

Text:  The device was first seen at 18:02 PM EDT on Aug 02 2016 and last seen at 22:21 PM EDT on Oct 23 2016...

NAME: xxx
             MAKE: yyy
             TYPE: zzzz
             IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.115
             MAC ADDRESS: 20:AE:60:92:4A:60

So maybe this is useful too

Yes I have seen this and I can see how this can be useful, and the new button is a great addition!

I was hoping for an automated approach, possibly a site setting that's "remove offline devices after XX days/weeks/months" etc, but make it filter-based, so the devices are never really "gone", just off of the main "All" list, and moved to a "Recently Removed" filter.

On 1.11.2016 at 5:00 PM, Silvio said:

No plan yet for the "remove all devices that have been unactive for X days".

But please note that, if you delete all:

-  you will still see then back online (of course)

-  our "alert on new devices" is pretty clever: it will also tell you when a previously deleted re-appears and tells you when. If you have it enabled  you will get an email with subject:

Subject: "XXX has reappeared at <agent_name>

Text:  The device was first seen at 18:02 PM EDT on Aug 02 2016 and last seen at 22:21 PM EDT on Oct 23 2016...

NAME: xxx
             MAKE: yyy
             TYPE: zzzz
             IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.115
             MAC ADDRESS: 20:AE:60:92:4A:60

So maybe this is useful too

This is actually a HUGE problem!

When there is trouble with a device, for instzance with two Edimax smart plux that Domotz can no longer access since a firmware upgrade to the smart plugs (can't unlock in Domotz with verified correct credentials) there is no way to corredct the problem and still use the the trouble device for other purposes in the network.

Since they don't really get deteleted for good, the two truoble plugs always come nback with the same wrong description (Samsung multiroom) even though the MACs areb't anywhere near that of the Samsung devices, they also come back as controlling devices they no longer control.

Since i can't configure or rather unconfigure the two plugs they show as controllinh a Cable box and am older WD NAS where I used them to cold start the devices since both have no physical power switches and can only be made to hibernate unless one yanks their power cords.

There seriously needs to be a way to make Domotz forget a MAC or to have it do a complete rescan of the network, i already have a few more devices in one network that show bizarrely mismatched device info (HP Notebook is suddenly  my Samsung TV which is suddenly a Netgear switch and that in turn is now my long defunct Netgear NAS) Currently, data integrity in Domotz seems to be sketchy at best. Fing, where i first heard about Domotz is playing an in an entirely different league. Infos are more reliable, more detailed and accurate. I tend to find that slightly bizarre gven the positioning pf the two products. Currently, fing with the fingbox seems the far more professional choice. i regularly refer to Fing for info Domotz is not at all, or only unreliably providing or with nowhere near enough detail. I was expecting considerably more from Domotz after reading the advertising blurb in the Fing app.