eti

how do you update the agent version on the Domotz box

14 posts in this topic

how do you update the agent version on the Domotoz Box

Hi Eti,

the Domotz Box is automatically updated from our front end. So that you do not have to worry. We always guarantee the latest updated version on any Domotz Box and Domotz Pi.

ok so assume the version listed under my license is wrong on a few of my boxes still showing the old version?
is there another way to verify agent version on the Domotz box other than the licenses section of the website

What happens is that, when a new version is released, this is immediately available in our central repository. So:

• If you install a new box or pi, it automatically gets the latest version
  • After few days, we “push” the new version to all those already up & running.

It might happen that an agent is offline when we do the push. We periodically run new pushes, but this is why for some time you may see disalignments.

We are planning to align all the running agents over the next 1-2 days.

Hi Eti,

I confirm what stated by Silvio. And I also confirm that all your live agents are now upgraded to the currently latest version (1.1.2).

Moreover, let me add that when upgrading Domotz Box and Raspberry Pi, the upgrade is usually performed in batches on the running agents, so that we avoid overloading systems. Moreover, even though every version is automatically and manually tested on our side, pushing upgrades in batches among different installations reduce further the possibility of having faulty agents running around. Therefore, all the agents are usually upgraded to the latest version, on batches spread over few days (usually under 2 weeks).

This is the usual behavior, unless the new version we release is mandatory: in this case the upgrade happens at the same time we upgrade our backend on all the agents.

Let me also add that of course we are able to upgrade only running agents. In your particular case, I've noticed that a couple of Agents are now off: therefore they have not been upgraded yet.

Gian / Silivo,

thanks for the replays, and detail on the update process

- no problem waiting for all to bath, understand

- just wanted to make sure no user intervention was required

I confirm that on the Domotz Box and Domotz Raspberry Pi, no user intervention is required.

I have a Domotz box that is still on 1.1 and another on 1.1.3. Is there a way to force the update on the 1.1 agent?

Both my Pro boxes are still at 1.1.0 

All, please apologize in this feedback. Unfortunately version 1.1.3 has still some minor issues (which are not affecting current users, but might be for newer) we are fixing. That version (or newer) It will be automatically deployed as soon as we resolve the cases.

Thanks for the patience

But if you’ve gone for a standard pi and installed the agent it doesn’t automatically update for some reason and now is broken. First customer has just come back to me tonight asking for assistance and I’m 12000 miles away and their domotz is just a brick. 

7 hours ago, Webcentrik said:

But if you’ve gone for a standard pi and installed the agent it doesn’t automatically update for some reason and now is broken. First customer has just come back to me tonight asking for assistance and I’m 12000 miles away and their domotz is just a brick. 

I apologize for this inconvenience, but unfortunately we cannot provide or push packages upgrades to DIY solutions (such as personal Raspberry Pi or NAS), but we can do it on the Domotz hardware. This is the primary reason why we recommend using the Domotz Boxes for professional usage. 

The box and hardware are identical. You just put a sticker on the box for an extra £20. If you aren’t willing to support something don’t offer it as a solution. 

The least you could do is inform your dealers of an upcoming software update there may be issues with, rather than just doing it and telling us you’ve broken the support network we have in place after the event. This is really bad customer service. 

It would be akin to Control4 pushing a software update that bricks older processors so you have to upgrade to new ones. 

You are are telling me in black and white that you won’t be able to help to get these units back online without it costing me 3 days labour to visit each site and update them?

Hi Webcentrik, I have answered you in private.

Please let just me point out, here, that the comparison with Control4 is unfair.
Would Control4 allow you to do a DYI, and free, installation of their controller of third party hardware?

Even if they'd allow so, it would be extremely difficult to them to guarantee for them the same level of performance, behaviour and auto-upgrade on a DIY installed raspberry pi? 

In any case we have no excuses and are very sorry for the inconvenient.

As I wrote you in private, our team is working hard to increase stability and reliability of our packages. This is being priority n. 1 in our company. As you can understand such issues cause a problem to you, but the damage to our business can be much much worse. If the same issue happened also to our boxes the damage to our business would have been huge. Our customer base is growing every day on any kind of installations, so please be assured that it is our concern n. 1 and our critical mission making sure this won't happen again.

Thank you very much for your understanding.