Gius

Android App - Tap very slow

6 posts in this topic

Installed up&run :) everything is ok, Domotz has discovered all device in my lan network. I setup their location and activated standard notification for the important one.

At first look at Android app seems have tap very slow and you need to tap in specific location on the screen otherwise nothing  happen. In addition,  actually I' m not able to connect to my device out of my line network using the 3G connectivity of my smartphone.

Edited by Gius

Hi Gius,

Yes, we are aware of app slowdown for earlier versions of Android (please note that we onl support versions 4.4 or later). Also slow down are present for networks with more than 100 devices. 

If it is not the case, please can you send an email to beta2@domotz.com, with more details about your mobile phone and android version

Sorry to hear that you can't connect using 3G. I believe it is a temporary bad connectivity issue. We have put a diagnostic button where you can check the round-trip delay between the app and the agent. You can use this button to compare the behavior via local wifi and 3G (if you manage to get any connectivity). Please keep us informed. We will try to help as best as we can

Hi Gius,

we performed a quick external test toward your Domotz Agent, and it seems that the connection from and to your Home is quite poor at the moment. I confirm that the Connection to Device feature works from outside the network, also for your devices, but it takes quite a long time in your condition (e.g. it might go in timeout). Please, try again, but in any case I would suggest the following.

You can perform a "Route Analyzer" test on your agent (either through the App, or directly into the Web UI of the Domotz Agent). It performs a mix between a traceroute and ping to the target (technically it's an mtr). I suggest to keep the target set to the default Google DNS 8.8.8.8 as a first test. Good values for that test are 0% packet loss and RTD below 100 msec.

With that diagnostic tool, you can also understand where there is the most of delays or packet loss (e.g. if within your home network, or between your Router and ISP, or somewhere else.

Let us know your feedback using those diagnostic feature as well.

Hi Giancarlo, team,

Thank you for your quickly  reply,  today I made the test and it seems that there isn't a loss of packages.  I discard to mention that I have my Hotspot (apple airport time capsule) attached to the my isp router and my Nas belongs to Apple airport lan,  so the address is natted... BTW today morning I'm able  to connect to the Nas via domotz app using  3g connectivity,  maybe yesterday I used a wrong port,  so now it works fine and not so slow. 

Could I suggest a little improvement for the app? 

When  you click  on device for  details it seems that do nothing while it collect the information to display,  so my suggestion is to insert an over image so when you click on a device the user can see that something is changed and he is know that the tap has occurred and the app are doing something before to display the next screen. 

Hi Gius,

Good to see everything is working.

We know our app is not superfast, and we are planning to work at performance improvements later this year.

When switching from the device list view to the specific device, in all the tests we have done with our handsets, it always takes between 0.5 seconds and 1 seconds (which is still high). But from what I understand from your words, it can be even higher. How long is the app taking in your case? 

Hi Silvio,

with 3g connectivity, out of my lan, more Then 2 seconds, but this is not an issue. My suggestion is to let understand the user that the app are doing something inserting an over image that change color after the tap as you have done for the login button in the side menù.