domoticabc

Manually add devices by IP address

6 posts in this topic

Any well done custom install uses several VLAN's to separate network traffic. I've just started to use Domotz and now see it's impossible to add devices by IP address? So now I'm unable to monitor a Crestron processor that's in a different VLAN, because Domotz only does auto-discovery? And the solution is to put an agent in all subnets? For some customers, that would mean like 7 agents... is this issue going to be resolved in the near future, or should we look elsewhere for a useful product?

Hi Domoticabc,

multiple VLANs are supported by the Domotz Pro BOX.

Please have a look at the section 6.2 of the Domotz Pro user guide:

https://cdn.domotz.com/wp-content/uploads/Domotz-User-Guide.pdf

If you still need assistance in the configuration of the Domotz Pro to support multiple VLANs I suggest to write to support(at)domotz.com

Thanks for your understanding,

Giancarlo

Hi Giancarlo,

Thanks for your answer, but that requires Domotz hardware. Many of our installs have a NAS already in place, having to install additional hardware while there's a Synology app is a bit strange, since the Synology can access the multiple VLAN's just fine. Any reason we need to use Domotz hardware for this?

Best regards,

Rogier

Agreed.

I would like to see VLAN support from the Synology NAS Domotz agent.

Synology Package centre is how we found Domotz in the first place. Synology NAS units are a frequent component of our installs - as are VLAN's. Adding a dedicated Domotz box to a site just to monitor a VLAN thats already accessible to the original agent does seem odd - although we have done it for one site already the client was only prepared to pay for the Pi version.

Adding the second agent also means a client using VIOLET to monitor their config only has visibility over one LAN.. a topic covered in a separate thread... 

Edited by mydigitalbubble

Right, and in our case, monitoring the automation processor is priority number one. In this scenario, I'm forced to put the NAS in the same VLAN as the controller, which imo is bad practice.

Furthermore, how would we handle a Crestron system that has its own control subnet (like an AV3, CP3N)? In a well-done installation, the Synology app seems to be useless in its current form, that's a shame because I really like this platform.

Not sure where you got the idea that vlan supports requires domotz hardware.  I have my domotz that is running on vm monitoring all my vlans.  Yes what your running the software requires the ability to have an interface in each vlan.. Domotz does discovery via arp.

Monitoring across a router has a flaw that maybe the router/firewall your crossing to access that other network is just blocking the monitoring.  So is the device down really?

Can your NAS create sub interfaces or vlan interfaces - if so then it should be able to monitor any vlan you want.  If not then yeah your going to need something else to do your monitoring from if you want to monitor more than 1 vlan.