Springs

Why can't I buy a Domotz Pro box anymore

8 posts in this topic

Its really convenient to just be able to buy a ready to go Domotz Pro box.

With you exiting the hardware part of the system... Luxul wants to increase our Costs by 85% and Trendnet by about 50%.

What gives?

At least give us the shopping list to roll our own.

You should be able to get the Luxul branded one from Access Networks, ADI, Capitol, Mountain West, and AVAD (and I'm sure others) for the same price it was direct. From Kevin at Blackwire, it's even a few bucks cheaper. 

45 minutes ago, hdsystems said:

You should be able to get the Luxul branded one from Access Networks, ADI, Capitol, Mountain West, and AVAD (and I'm sure others) for the same price it was direct. From Kevin at Blackwire, it's even a few bucks cheaper. 

That was then.

Kevin is raising his prices as he is going to be branding his box.

Luxul raised the price on their site already.

check out ihiji if you want to buy hardware direct and not deal with all the BS domotz is rolling out

don't bother with building your own on a raspberry or a NAS as they will not auto update and you will end up having to visit the site just to update the domotz

eti,

I wanna keep it separate.

I want to have a box that sits on network and does what Domotz box does.

I have seen the Domotz Box lock up. So I figured out the site was not actually down. Logged into my DLI and rebooted the box. Site showed as up again. Checking the router logs... it was never down.

I have one raspberry pi deployment and it is at my house. It was put in a bit over a year ago and the agent version is up to date. The package version seems to be behind thou. But its working.

I did extensive testing with the OvrC Hub and dismissed it for a bunch of reasons. But they keep adding to its functionality. And the price has plummeted. When they get rid of all the RPI boxes... they would be able to test above 80M for the WAN tests. Thats going to cause a lot of dealers to rethink them. But the requiring UPNP is going to be a stopping block that they trip over late.

17 hours ago, Springs said:

eti,

I wanna keep it separate.

I want to have a box that sits on network and does what Domotz box does.

I have seen the Domotz Box lock up. So I figured out the site was not actually down. Logged into my DLI and rebooted the box. Site showed as up again. Checking the router logs... it was never down.

I have one raspberry pi deployment and it is at my house. It was put in a bit over a year ago and the agent version is up to date. The package version seems to be behind thou. But its working.

I did extensive testing with the OvrC Hub and dismissed it for a bunch of reasons. But they keep adding to its functionality. And the price has plummeted. When they get rid of all the RPI boxes... they would be able to test above 80M for the WAN tests. Thats going to cause a lot of dealers to rethink them. But the requiring UPNP is going to be a stopping block that they trip over late.

Thanks for your feedback. I am sorry if I am late in giving information back on this thread.

It is worth to mention that the Domotz Agent is composed of two entities:

- The Package (includes all the low level libraries, and functionalities closer to the HW and the OS)

- The Listener Logic (or Agent Version itself)

While the Listener logic is upgraded automatically also on the NAS and Raspberry Pi based versions, the Package (and all the dependent libraries) can be automatically upgraded only on the Domotz Box. Therefore, if for any security reason, an external library need to be upgraded, that cannot be automatically done on the NAS/Raspberry Pi version, but it can only be done on the Domotz Box version. Additionally, some functionalities are only available in the latest version of the package (e.g. the M-Lab based speed tests). 

Moreover, the Domotz Box offers additional features which cannot be provided by the agent on different architectures (e.g., just to name a couple currently available only on the Domotz Box version, the blocking feature - available through Violet - and the possibility to configure multiple VLANs directly on the Web Service of the Agent itself).

Finally, the Domotz Box is provided with an additional provisioning channel (the same used to push upgrades of the package or dependent libraries) which offers a premium support for the investigation of any issue.

Let me add just the last thing: we usually recommend users implementing a professional monitoring solution based on the Domotz Box, rather than on a Raspberry Pi, since the SD card used as storage might get corrupted after few months of usage. 

Sorry to bump an old thread but wanted to get clarification on one thing.

It's clear that Domotz will not auto update on a NAS or Raspberry Pi version.  Is that also true of a Debian instance running on a virtual machine?

17 hours ago, Dan said:

Sorry to bump an old thread but wanted to get clarification on one thing.

It's clear that Domotz will not auto update on a NAS or Raspberry Pi version.  Is that also true of a Debian instance running on a virtual machine?

Correct. Also the Debian package should be kept upgraded by the DIY user.