• Announcements

• Giancarlo

Windows Domotz Agent Manager - Available to be downloaded   08/02/18

We are glad to announce that we have completed the development of the first Beta version of our Domotz Agent Manager for Windows.   It has been completely tested on Windows 10, but it should work also on Windows 8 and Windows 7.   You can download the Agent directly from the following link:   DomotzAgentManager   Note that the application will install an Oracle VM VirtualBox (if not installed yet) and it will download the proper image which contains the Domotz Software. Virtualization option is required to be enabled on the hardware.    For any feedback, issue or concern, please do not hesitate to contact support@domotz.com
Springs

Price Jumps

13 posts in this topic

So first the hardware goes up by 85%. Now the credits increased by 100%.

Are these prices kind of FIXED for the time being?

Just looking at how we need to structure pricing...

After all... Domotz used to ask... "How much would it have to be to 'just throw it in there?'" 

On 1/27/2018 at 10:38 AM, Springs said:

So first the hardware goes up by 85%. Now the credits increased by 100%.

Are these prices kind of FIXED for the time being?

Just looking at how we need to structure pricing...

After all... Domotz used to ask... "How much would it have to be to 'just throw it in there?'" 

Our colleague Seth is trying to contact you to discuss about this since a few days. Please provide him with a suitable time-slot to discuss. 

As we did already discuss a few weeks ago, it is not fair to speak about an increase in the credits price by 100%!!! As you might know, if the credits are purchased in quantity the price did not change at all!!!

The price just jumped higher if you purchase just one single credit. And as you can imagine, if users purchase a single credit for any purposes, from our perspective, it has a much higher cost (support, operations, management).

Moreover, the credit pricing change into a tiering model has followed the request of multiple Customer Installers and MSP provider that would like to have a higher price on small quantities and a much lower price on volume. And you, as a custom installer, benefit of this change since your customer are not aware of the price of the service offered to you. I hope this clarify the change about the price change on the credits. In any case, Seth will further clarify this with you directly.

Finally, let me remind you that the cost for some services is even reduced (for example if you consider the lifetime license), and in few weeks will be even more reduced (stay tuned!!!). 

With about the change of the price for the Hardware, please note that the change have been applied not by us, but by the distribution channel. Again, this is to allow users such as Custom Installer, MSP and IT professional to have a channel to provision the hardware, without exposing the cost of the hardware to their customers. Also for this topic, I hope that Seth will clarify with you directly.

Giancarlo, I sense a bit of frustration in your response given the explanation marks and the general tone of your response. Probably doesn't give the best impression to new potential customers like myself as he asked a very valid question. I prefer to work with companies that appreciate feedback of all kinds, even frustration. I will venture to say that I think his question/point is more about policy and communication, or at least mine are below. 

BTW I also noticed the same increase between the time I installed my first agent and then my second which caught me by surprise. I could be wrong but I also recall the increase being similar to what was mentioned. However to set the record straight would you clarify for a single credit what was the price increase percentage then? Were any other pricing changes made aside from single credit, and do you expect any more in the near future?

1) What is your policy for pricing changes, do you have some timeframe you will commit to where we wont expect them to go up? Will you commit to your customers that when and if they increase they will only increase by X%? Thats extremely important to understand for a small business given your expectation to be a core piece of our infrastructure. I typically expect such a commitment from new vendors with little to no established history of pricing control yet. Otherwise the risk/financial exposure can be too much for some.

2) If a price change is expected, do you give customers advance notice so they can plan ahead and work that cost into their services? If so how much advanced notice do you plan to offer? Do you look for feedback from your customers on such changes or are those decisions only made within the internal vacuum of Domotz?

Please don't take these questions as criticism, they are merely necessary for planning and level setting a mutually beneficial relationship.

You are perfectly right, Allsystemsgo. I apologize for my tone in my previous message. However, we did already spoke to Springs and clarified the changes in the HW distribution, back in Q4 2017, and then my colleague Seth was trying to connect to him and explain the pricing changes in the credits as well. We were not expecting a message like that on the forum. But again, my mistake if I looked frustrated, and my sincere apologize for appearing rude when answering to Springs. 

Going to your message, we did announce the intention of price changes in the credits in November 2017 (let me know if you didn't receive the newsletter and we will check about that), and applied in January 2018. During that time, we listen all the feedback provided, and I can guarantee that a lot of Dealers, Customer Integrators and MSP did like the change in the structure, because the new structure gives them enough margin if they decide to resell the service. Of course, when something in the offer changes, there is always a part of the customer who doesn't like. We know about that, and we still try to get every single critic and try to remediate.

As a matter of fact, we heard about critics about the cost on Violet (Customer Facing App). As a result, the Violet feature will be included in the basic monitoring by the end of the month. We announced this change mid of February.

On the other hand, I really appreciate your comment about our issue with the "communication". We are trying to address it, and help our customers to take decisions before we can apply changes. It is even more important, when we change the way you can build a business around Domotz (this is why the changes in the credit pricing structure was announced 2 months before realizing it).

Going back to your questions, we do not expect to change the prices again in the near future. If there will be, we promise we will communicate in advance (as we did in November for the changes applied in January).

However, we are introducing (and continue to introduce in the future) new features, which will be included at the same price of the Standard service. Moreover, we are grouping the "Elements" (additional features which costed something additional to the Standard service) in a package, resulting again into a reduction of the overall cost for you.

We will continue to listen to all the feedbacks (including critics) that our customers provide, given that they are the basis for our mutual growth.

Giancarlo, thats exactly the response I was hoping for, trust reinstated :). I'm sure I missed the email about the coming pricing changes as I only started evaluating in the last month so no fault there. Since you addressed my questions and concerns so completely I've decided to give the platform a shot and signed up my first customer in the platform today. If all goes well I will rapidly add more. Looking forward to working with you guys!

Thanks a lot for your feedback allsystemsgo. Looking forward to do business together. 

When did the hardware jump to almost double the cost ?????? 

Very disappointing on this.  I was just about to order 8 units from my distro ( they been in my cart for the last 3 weeks) at the old price.  I call this AM to order and I almost fell over when he told me the total.. 

We have been with you guys since day1 and your sell logic was we can just throw it in ANY job.  This is NOT the case anymore !! 

Might have to look at other alternatives since i cant trust you guys making more price jumps and taking away the little margins we have in RMR !! 

On 3/15/2018 at 6:45 AM, HTM said:

When did the hardware jump to almost double the cost ?????? 

Very disappointing on this.  I was just about to order 8 units from my distro ( they been in my cart for the last 3 weeks) at the old price.  I call this AM to order and I almost fell over when he told me the total.. 

We have been with you guys since day1 and your sell logic was we can just throw it in ANY job.  This is NOT the case anymore !! 

Might have to look at other alternatives since i cant trust you guys making more price jumps and taking away the little margins we have in RMR !! 

I appreciate your frustration. Can you please contact our sales team, providing the information about your primary distributor? I am quite sure the sales team can accommodate your request and find a good way to continue with a good relationship.

Domotz has stopped selling directly single Domotz Boxes since September 2017, relying on third party hardware manufacture and their distribution channel to sell the hardware. The prices on those channels are currently driven by them. However, we can still sell Domotz Boxes in bigger quantities, and I'm sure our sales team will listen to your request. Please, drop an email to sales(at)domotz.com

Just to add some additional information to this thread, as far as I know, Krika is for example offering good deals for the purchase of multiple Boxes 

Your problem is that you're ejecting yourself out of many markets by cooperating with distributors of Hardware considered exotic in many markets. In my market, Switzerland, none of the exotic, niche market products are readily available and the distributors you list either don't trade here at all or don't sell your box. . There simply is no option to purchase Domotz hardware anymore. At least not here.

I have to resort to using the barely usable agent on a QNAP (issues are to numerous to list here) or the only slightly less erratic agent on a Raspberry Pi. Neither of which is anywhere near reliable enough to actually monitor a network. I run both on my network and not once do the device lists agree and they never reflect the actual network state, each listing false and misleading information about connected devices and their names and services. 

Fing, even without a box is inifinitely more reliable and lists devices, services and states accurately, at least as long as i don't update my clients to iOS 11. How come Fing and Domotz appear to be at completely opposite ends of the product quality scale? (I know the two are intended for different target audiences, my assessment is solely based on accuracy of the information presented in each)

Since I really like Domotz's concept, I was willing to give the product one more chance with a Domotz box, but since the box is no longer available to me, that option is out the window as well, which is very regrettable.

I guess i'll have to revert back to Icinga and deploy that at my customers' networks since I need to be able to monitor those reliably.

In its current state I can't deploy Domotz with a clear conscience, let alone charge for it and attempt to justify the price hikes on top of that.

It's a shame, really as I still find the concept nothing short of brilliant, yet the execution seems to be nowhere near ready for prime time. Example: Who knew all Ethernet ports of both my QNAPs are now miraculously delivering Power over PoE to all my devices including the Netgear  PoE Switches that Domotz does not recognize as such? 

By the way, the attitude of your customer service reps does not help to build or restore confidence, it only helps destroying the remaining little goodwill towards Domotz that's still there.

Hi Swiss!

Domotz have a bunch of additional features which are meant for professional users willing to support their customers to serve their customers (remote connection, Power management, team management, 2Fa, customisable reports an clients app,as well as support for multiple vlan, external subnet, special integration of specific vendors, switch network mapping, collaboration,...). I would not exactly compare with our brother Fingbox .

Giving the possibility to HW manufacturers to onboard our solution is for us an important step for the growth of our business. For instance you can see that there are brands that are now integrating domotz in their routers! We would have never been able to become a router manufacturer!

I think that at least two of the brands selling domotz boxes are definitely distributing in Switzerland, where we have quite few customers.

Also please please note this  is not happening against free platforms. We are constantly increasing he number of NAS supported, we keep publishing packages for debian and raspbian and few more surprises are coming for all those that do not want buy a box: our team is working at publishing packages for other linux platforms, as well as a domotz docker and domotz vm. 

Avoiding directly the "hardware and box moving business" also allows our team to focus 100% of our resources into our core business and expertise, which is software. I guess you can understand the reasons of this choice. 

Thank you,

Silvio

PS

- For PoE swtches not supported: please just drop an email to support!  Integration is often easy but for many models we need to do some bits of customisation.

- Very sorry to hear your statement about our customer service reps. Usually our support team is very proactive and fast in addressing issues. I think most of our customers can only say good words about our support team. But nobody of us is perfect, so please could you drop me a private message to better understand your issues?

Hey @Silvio - any news on having the ability to run Domotz as a VM or from a container? I think this could be a very exciting move

Hi Boojew, Domotz is already available for VM installations.

We maintain a Debian version of our agent, so you can create a VM mounting a standard Debian OS (512MB RAM, 64-bit). You will just need to make sure that you configure a virtual bridged network card, which is an option available within virtualisation software.

In our portal there are all instructions here

https://portal.domotz.com/portal/hardware/instructions/debian