Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

abhinavkhandka

Android App is battery hog

7 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I installed the app on Nexus 5 with Marshmallow. The battery consumption is highest. It consumes more battery than the display. Display battery consumption was at 12% and domotz was at 14%. Let me know if you need any details, I have captured screenshots.

Second thing I noticed was it displays MAC manufacturer details of range extender. I have securifi Almond+ as a range extender and all the devices connected to this range extender are displayed as Securifi as Manufacturer. Also I have instance of an IP Cam listed twice with same IP but with diff manufacturer.

Thanks

Abhinav Khandka

That's really quite surprising, as it's not something we've noticed and we've been using various version of the app for a good couple of months now. Personally I have multiple apps using a lot more power, but it's possible that it's something device specific. Not quite sure how we'd be able to solve this issue though, but I'll let the software team know.

You should see the manufacturer of all devices, more or less anyhow, at least as long as we can detect them and they use proper MAC information. We do have an issue where some devices that have multiple MAC addresses might show up twice. Am I right in guessing that the camera has both wired and wireless connectivity? This is something we're already working on fixing.

One other possibility for the two IP cams showing up could be that the camera just refreshed its IP address from the DHCP pool. Are you still seeing two cameras?

Not sure about the devices showing up as Securifi, I'd have to test that. Good thing I have one at home ;)

As for the battery life, apparently the app isn't quite optimized as yet and it should improve as we release new versions. It varies a bit from device to device and it seems like you've seen some extremes. Still early days and a lot of work left to do.

You can change the app to not always have to run. I noticed that on android, not all apps exit when you exit the activity. It could be that the app is continuously checking for network connectivity or updates similar to why many social media apps also drain the battery. I do android programming and my developer tablet has a lot better battery life than other android tablets or phones mainly because it doesnt come with all the apps you get from a normal tablet that always run, use internet and such.

So if you are a user and domotz hasnt yet optimised their app you can use greenify.

Tested on my wife's Nexus 5 and there is no problem.

Screenshot_20160912-172052.png

Thanks for confirming.

Yes we have a lot of posts referring to very old issues (mostly related to our beta testing phase : october-december 2015). Perhaps we should lock of these posts and let users to create new ones if any problem arises again