Jump to content
TokyoIoT

Device Name

Recommended Posts

TokyoIoT

I would like Domotz to be the magnifying glass to my network. Any information it could possibly observe, retrieve should be made available. If the objective is to have a clean interface, additional information can be hidden in advanced sections.

 

Device names can come from various sources (Netbios, DNS, WINS, Bonjour) and they may be different as well. I would like to see Domotz to display all names including the source of the name.

 

It looks like Domotz is not getting the Netbios data as Domotz shows the mac address for a device which only provides the Netbios name. Domotz does show the Bonjour name.

Edited by TokyoIoT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silvio

Yes at the moment we are only processing: Hostname, Bonjour Name, SNMP Name.

Any time they are retrieved, they are displayed  separately in the Info section of a device. See attached pictures.

 

Also, note that there is concept of Display Name", that you can populate as you like. By default it is prefilled with one of the above names (or the MAC address if none is found), but you can put there any name you want for a better identification.

 

 

4.thumb.png.9b987a080c388140eccd6b1c05393.thumb.png.3cc9b4e5f95dc474842c0d03964a

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TokyoIoT

Looks good. I assume that host name refers to the name obtained by nslookup.

 

I really hope you can add Netbios. This is used by SMB I believe. Most iOS LAN scan apps resolve Netbios names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giancarlo

That's true: the hostname is the one returned by DNS service (nslookup). We have other name services in our backlog (including NetBios, but also UpNp - in part for services as well). Not sure yet when we will include these, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TokyoIoT

Great. When you do NerBios, can you include the domain as well, for example WORKGROUP/MYPC. UPnP is on my wishlist as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giancarlo
2 hours ago, TokyoIoT said:

 When you do NerBios, can you include the domain as well, for example WORKGROUP/MYPC. 

 

Sure. We wil consider this as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TokyoIoT

It seems that hostnames are removed when the DNS name can no longer be resolved. Instead, would it be possible to show the host name in red indicating that IP address no longer can be resolved?

 

Related to that, does Domotz check whether the DNS servers are alive?

 

Currently, Domotz uses the DNS servers defined by the platform. It could be very well possible that a device has a staticly defined DNS server which means that the results could be very different from what Domotz sees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giancarlo
On 11/27/2015, 5:13:32, TokyoIoT said:

It seems that hostnames are removed when the DNS name can no longer be resolved. Instead, would it be possible to show the host name in red indicating that IP address no longer can be resolved?

 

You are right: this is the current behavior. We will put this request in our backlog, and check when it will be implemented.

 

On 11/27/2015, 5:13:32, TokyoIoT said:

Related to that, does Domotz check whether the DNS servers are alive?

 

At the moment, it doesn't perform this kind of check.

 

On 11/27/2015, 5:13:32, TokyoIoT said:

Currently, Domotz uses the DNS servers defined by the platform. It could be very well possible that a device has a staticly defined DNS server which means that the results could be very different from what Domotz sees.

 

Actually it's quite difficult to get the DNS name as resolved by each Device: you can't actually access on every single device, and see which DNS server it uses, since devices do not host any agent. We can't avoid this at the moment. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TokyoIoT
1 hour ago, Giancarlo said:

Actually it's quite difficult to get the DNS name as resolved by each Device: you can't actually access on every single device, and see which DNS server it uses, since devices do not host any agent. We can't avoid this at the moment. 

 

Is it possible to add a feature to allow the configuration of the DNS server used by Domotz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Giancarlo
1 hour ago, TokyoIoT said:

 

Is it possible to add a feature to allow the configuration of the DNS server used by Domotz?

 

This is something we can consider. I'll put on the list, but no promise on when we can realize it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...