Can I install Multiple Agents on Same Network?

tubblog

Hi,

I'm setting Domotz up on a (home) network.

I have the Domotz Agent installed on a Windows 10 PC.

I also have a Synology DS-115 NAS on the same network.

I have two questions:-

1. Will I cause any problems by installing the Domotz Agent on the Synology NAS to run concurrently alongside the Domotz Agent on the Windows PC?
  2. Will I gain any benefits from running two agents on the same network (redundancy?)

Thanks! :-)

Giancarlo

Hi Tubblog,

thanks for posting your questions on the Community Forum.

Let me address both of your questions:

3 hours ago, tubblog said:
  1. Will I cause any problems by installing the Domotz Agent on the Synology NAS to run concurrently alongside the Domotz Agent on the Windows PC?

No side effects in having 2 Domotz Agents on the same network. Consider that in some of our labs, we have tens of Agents running concurrently on the same network

3 hours ago, tubblog said:

2. Will I gain any benefits from running two agents on the same network (redundancy?)

The two Domotz Agents will run separately (there is not yet a concept of "merging" data from two different Domotz Agents). Therefore, if one of the two Agents (or the machine hosting it) fails, you will have the second one which continues to allow you monitoring and managing your network from remote.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
tubblog

Super. Thanks for clarifying, @Giancarlo- I appreciate it!

JB Fowler explained to me that one potential downside to having two agents on the same network might be that latency tests get confused? What do you think?

• 1 month later...
internetraver

I have a follow up question on this scenario.  I have a Domotz box that has been in a client house for a year or so monitoring his system.  He recently picked up a Synology NAS and installed the Domotz agent and he now claims he can see everything I see (I haven't been there to verify).  If this is true he can see all my other client accounts with zero login credentials.

Is this possible?

Giancarlo
12 hours ago, internetraver said:

I have a follow up question on this scenario.  I have a Domotz box that has been in a client house for a year or so monitoring his system.  He recently picked up a Synology NAS and installed the Domotz agent and he now claims he can see everything I see (I haven't been there to verify).  If this is true he can see all my other client accounts with zero login credentials.

Is this possible?

If he has configured a Domotz Agent on his own Synology NAS, he has done with his own account. He sees only his Agent, and therefore his own devices at home. He does not see your other clients.

If you have the email address of your customer, please contact our support. We can double check with you.

internetraver
4 hours ago, Giancarlo said:

If he has configured a Domotz Agent on his own Synology NAS, he has done with his own account. He sees only his Agent, and therefore his own devices at home. He does not see your other clients.

If you have the email address of your customer, please contact our support. We can double check with you.

I doubt he would set up his own account.  So just activating the agent in his NAS and having it on the same network with an existing agent would not automatically log the second agent into the account of the first one?

Giancarlo
4 hours ago, internetraver said:

I doubt he would set up his own account.  So just activating the agent in his NAS and having it on the same network with an existing agent would not automatically log the second agent into the account of the first one?

If he has configured the NAS with a Domotz Agent he has used his own account, and he will only have access to the Domotz Agent on the NAS.

He cannot configure (or have access to data) a new Domotz Agent, just by the fact that he has another Domotz Agent on his network.