Lars

On update, log in with the same account

Lars

Note that when you update the Domotz Agent, due to the fact that at the moment, the old Agent has to be uninstalled first, you'll be able to resume when you install the new Agent by simply logging in with the same account again. The new Agent will detect the data from the previous installation and resume where you left off.

You'll see a screen that asks you to resume once you've logged in and it'll then take a little while for the Agent to resume and detect any new devices on the network.

domotz_agent_resume.png

fillibar

This did not work for me.

When I attempted to login after installing the new agent I receive the "You do not have any license available." error message. I did not even try to do it from the RasPi desktop either, I was using Chrome from a Windows 10 desktop...

So... I am unable to use either the primary Domotz Agent on RasPi1 nor the backup on RasPi2 (although that one could NEVER be enabled due to that error message). Any ideas on what I can do to get the Agent working again? Rebooting the RasPi did not help...

The Android App has no idea the Domotz agent is non-functional either. It happily gives me false status information based on a minimum of 5 days ago. Whatever method the cloud receives status changes... it needs a bit of work. Maybe the Agent needs a heartbeat status (every minute or so). That would help customers know if their network is alive also or if they have more than one Agent (if it is important enough) they may be able to see problems with just one agent.

Lars

This might be because the Domotz agent has detect that the MAC address has changed for some reason, as the "license" is tied to the MAC address of the device it's first installed on. 

The software team has issued two more licenses to your account, so you should be able to install it again. This is a limitation at the moment, since the plan is to sell the software, but it's causing some minor issues with the beta testing.

Please let us know if you got things up and running again.

fillibar

Interesting. Totally understand the license part of this although I am not sure how the MAC address could have registered as anything different (it is the same RasPi, using the same wireless adapter as before).

I was able to add my original one in as if it was new. If someone needs to check, it is labeled as Primary in my account. The previous version of it is still there and there does not appear to be any way to remove it from my account (something else that will need to be added). That one was known as Domo-Snell. It can be removed (although the app still thinks everything is happy with it) but before someone does that we might want to check the MAC addresses to see if something funny did indeed happen.

Annoyingly (but expected) all my naming, locations, and such are now wiped out (since they were on the previous agent). What was not expected was that all the custom names and locations that had been added to the lists (as I entered new ones) were also tied to the agent. So the new agents have none of those listed anymore even though they are within the same app.

I used the second license to bring my backup agent online. It appears to be functioning well also.Initial results are no conflicts between the two that I can see.

Lars

It's possible the agent saw the wired Ethernet port as the main network adapter over the wireless adapter when you re-installed the agent and this caused the problem. It's a problem the software team is working on solving, but it'll most likely be via an option to reset your license on our website or something similar.

At the moment it's not possible to remove agents, but as far as I'm aware, it's something that'll be added. I'll ask the software team to remove it from the cloud side.

I think the software team can help restore all your naming etc. let me check with them. Please let us know if this is something you'd like us to do.

Edited by Lars

fillibar

No need to rename the items. I just mentioned it as I noticed it. Very few things were named. More had a location or such but even then I really do not have that many devices so it is no issue at all.

It might be useful to offer more details for the account then. Maybe an additional window that can show what MAC that agent is running on, or your overall account options (like licenses remaining) or such. It might be interesting to put an actual geographical location (latitude and longitude) as an option for the agent. For a company or distributed network of sensors this could be especially useful.

Silvio

We target to add everything suggested. First of all the issue with the MAC.

Also, before commercial launch, the idea is to have a section where the user can see all his licences (they can have more than one) and easily move an agent from a platform to another, from a place to another.

So, there will be both the possibilties of (cleaning up my data) E.g.

1. Move my installed domotz to another network or home (brand new data, get rid of the old data). Or just clean-up all the data

2. move my domotz agent to another platform by keeping all the previous data  

Also, geolocation and agent timezone are being added. Initially detected by the agent. Then also the possibility of editing/refining from a map, in case the ip geolocation fails.

fillibar

I thought about this a touch more... is the geolocation for the agent or can it be set per device? Thinking back to the sensors... An additional "neat" idea with that would be to trigger the default app for a map with the location if it is entered. So you see a sensor "malfunctioning" on the list then tap it's location and maybe a "find it" option and it opens up Google Maps (or whatever) with the location spotted. Not useful for my house but maybe useful for those with multiple properties, larger areas with scattered outdoor (but networked) sensors, etc...