cfool

Remote access no longer working

cfool

Hi
I am loving Domotz.   I have it running on a Pi2 and it is helping me keep track of 50+ devices.  

For the first couple of weeks I was able to access a Win 10 Pro PC remotely using the Remote Connection option in the Web Portal.  Now that is no longer working for me.   I have not made any changes to that PC or my network.  I can still access this PC from outside the network using standard RDP (not via Domotz) if I open a port on my router.  I have also tried with the PC firewall temporarily turned off and this made no difference.  I can still reach the agent running on my Pi remotely via the web portal.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks and keep up the great working

Silvio

Based on your description, it is likely there is a problem with our environment. Our team is checking. Will let you know as soon as possible

Silvio

Yes I confirm it was one of the servers we use for this specific service that went down for a while. Thanks for signalling this. We are working at minimizing this kind of the problems and related downtime. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

cfool

Hi Silvio

Thanks for looking at this.   I tried a little earlier (around 8:15 EST) and it was not working.  I just tried again now and it is.   Not sure whether you had another blip on this service, but for now it's up.   
Are there any plans to allow VNC connections also for machines that do not support RDP?  I think you're using Guacamole so I think that's a relatively easy add.

Thanks again

miji2

Yes, this feature has been down since at least last week. I thought it was my agent acting up. It's back up and running again. Yey!

Silvio

Just checking and I can connect fine to few locations around the word. it is systematic. Are you trying from your mobile or from the webapp? 

Giancarlo

@miji2 it seems that your Domotz Agent is not working properly: it is actually monitoring device status, but it is not listening to external commands from our cloud (e.g. you can't switch on/off smart plugs, or connect remotely to your devices). A simple restart of the Domotz Agent should fix the issue.  

miji2

@Silvio @Giancarlo Thank you gents. It's always hard to tell if it's my end of the cloud side considering the firewalls and restrictions in place. In fact, the agent seems to not connect via web nor mobile connections, but thank you so much for looking into it. I will restart the agent when I'm onsite since I can't do anything remotely. Thank you again.

Simon

cfool

I am still having frequent problems with RDP to both a Win 10 desktop and the Pi2 that the agent is running on.  

1.  It times out  -which I think was described previously as designed - somewhere around an hour from connection.   Much as I would like this not to time out, I guess there are reasons.
2.  I am almost never able to re-connect using the reconnect button on the disconnected dialog box

3.  Also very frequently, even if I close the disconnected browser window and return to the device tab and hit the RDP Connect button it still times out
4.  When #3 happened today, I went as far as restarting the Pi and it still wouldn't connect when the Pi and agent was fully back up.   A while later it did connect, without restarting anything further.

RDP without the agent works on this Win10 machine all the time.

Any other ideas?

Thanks   cfool

Silvio

Point 1 is by design. From our end to avoid unnecessary usage of resources (we want to keep our service very cheap).

Il will check with my dev team how other points can be improved. Thanks

cfool
11 hours ago, Silvio said:

Point 1 is by design. From our end to avoid unnecessary usage of resources (we want to keep our service very cheap).

Il will check with my dev team how other points can be improved. Thanks

Was able to RDP early this morning for the usual ~1hour session.  Have been unable to connect since.   Native RDP still works if I port forward my router.

On point 1, you might find users willing to pay a slightly higher monthly for full time RDP access.  Alternatively and this might not be possible technically, can you handover the connection, once established, to be point-to-point, without Domotz servers in the middle?  I am guessing that SSL doesn't support this, but thought I'd suggest anyway.  

cfool
23 hours ago, cfool said:

Was able to RDP early this morning for the usual ~1hour session.  Have been unable to connect since.   Native RDP still works if I port forward my router.

On point 1, you might find users willing to pay a slightly higher monthly for full time RDP access.  Alternatively and this might not be possible technically, can you handover the connection, once established, to be point-to-point, without Domotz servers in the middle?  I am guessing that SSL doesn't support this, but thought I'd suggest anyway.  

This remains a problem and is much worse than previously.   I can no longer connect more than the initial time in the morning.   True, I haven't tried it late at night, but I was disconnected sometime mid-morning today after the usual ~1hr session.   It's now almost 2pm and I have not been able to reconnect since it dropped on the timeout. I was not ever able to reconnect yesterday after the initial timeout.

Can we get a better understanding of what experience we should be getting, now that we are paying customers please?

I am looking for a remote access (RDP and hopefully VNC) session that works whenever I need it.  If this is not a model that you are ever planning on supporting, please let me know.   

Thanks   cfool.

Silvio

There is something really serious happening related to your case. While I told you that the 1h timeout for a session is by design, I would expect further sessions to work,

Our team is on the case, but this is something really new to us.

Definitely looks like related  -somehow- to the 1h usage

Being Domotz a technical monitoring and support solutions, we have never focused on intensive usage of the remote connectivity. The vaste majority of our users are doing professional monitoring and use connectivity features to connect to a system for maintenance, fixing, checking purposes. Perhaps this is why we have never been raised a similar issue.

We'll do our best to understand and possibly fix your issue.

cfool

Silvio.
My RDP access worked for most of the balance of last year, within the constraints noted, AFTER I purged and re-installed the agent on my Pi.

It stopped working again a couple of months ago and I finally had an opportunity to try and troubleshoot this.   I ended up purging and re-installing the latest version of the agent again last night.  Monitoring functionality is now back again, but the remote access remains broken.  It gives the me the "Connecting" message, but never connects.

How can I troubleshoot this further please?

Thanks