Monitoring status of Raspberry Pi

GlynH

Hi there,

I was wondering what would be the best/recommended way of monitoring some Raspberry Pi's on a LAN to be notified when they reboot, reach a certain temperature or become unresponsive etc?

Would I be advised to use SNMP and if so are there any examples/resources I could study?

Domotz Eyes possibly?

Maybe use a Heartbeat or something to report back if there is an issue or maybe configure Alerts in Domotz?

As it might only take a Pi less than 30 seconds to reboot I would need a solution that can react accordingly to notify it has rebooted but am conscious that I don't want to swamp the LAN with excessive traffic monitoring for something that might only happen occasionally.

Am I looking for the Holy Grail or is this doable within Domotz?

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

One way to achieve this is probably monitoring the "uptime" of the macchine (e.g. monitored via SNMP). When it goes "below" a certain threshold, it means it might have been rebooted.

Thanks for the quick reply Giancarlo.

Yeah that might work but not sure if that would alert me quickly enough to indicate some activity was ongoing?

Are there any examples I could take a look at please using SNMP or other means to monitor & alert to a reboot or any other state change such as temperature, becoming unresponsive etc on a Raspberry Pi?

On looking around it seems another method of monitoring Raspberry Pi is using MQTT so more research for me to do it seems!

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

Thanks for taking the time to reply Nikolay but the first place I looked before I posted here was in the Raspberry Pi forum but as its title suggests it is for Agents on the Rpi and after browsing a couple of pages of posts found nothing relative to my question.

And as my query was not concerning a Domotz Agent I decided not to post my RPi specific query there either rightly or wrongly.

I have used SNMP for years (I already use Domotz to monitor my 3 UPS via SNMP for example) and read many resources on SNMP but 1. I am a relative newbie to all things Raspberry Pi and 2. I couldn't find anything RPi specific wherever I looked.

Domotz itself doesn't automatically sniff out and present what SNMP OID's are present on RPi as it seems to do with other devices on my network and I  haven't seen a RPi specific MIB either which was why I posted in here.

In fact I'm not sure whether SNMP is the best way to give me early warning of a Pi rebooting or whether I might achieve a faster response by utilising Heartbeat or something?

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

Dear Glyn,

Thank you for the follow up and the detailed explanation. I hope you are doing great in general.

Yes, to use the heartbeats as an alert indicator and trigger notifications if a heartbeat has been missed is another option to keep track on the device connectivity.

For all the details on the matter please see the Device Alerts guide. 

Keep in mind that the support team is always ready to assist you at support@domotz.com, feel free to submit your query.

I hope you will manage it and then enjoy it.

Have a lovely weekend!