Sign in to follow this  
TokyoIoT

Feedback regarding the latest iOS app 1.0.0

TokyoIoT

The latest iOS app 1.0.0 has some interesting new functionality. Here are some observations / suggestions:

• Services seem to be Bonjour Services rather than being based on a port scan. I would call it Bonjour Services for consistency.
  • The Workgroup Manager (port 9) is listed as unknown service.
  • NetBIOS name is missing.
  • A port scan would have revealed more information.
  • SNMP Location would be nice and could be used to populate "Place" field.
  • Not sure what the interface speed (not traffic) under SNMP tab is supposed to be, but 10mbps and 0mpbs on active ports seems incorrect (they are 1Gbps ports).

Giancarlo
On 2/10/2016 at 10:03 AM, TokyoIoT said:

The latest iOS app 1.0.0 has some interesting new functionality. Here are some observations / suggestions:

Thanks TokyoIoT for your feedback. Going back to your questions:

• Services seem to be Bonjour Services rather than being based on a port scan. I would call it Bonjour Services for consistency.

Actually the services are the ones discovered through port scan (only a subset of ports), and for which you can perform a Remote Connect (i.e. Web Portal - HTTP/HTTS, RDP, SSH, Telnet).

• The Workgroup Manager (port 9) is listed as unknown service.

As above: we only list the services we scan and for which we can perform the Remote Connect. Probably you set a custom port in the remote port, which is not in our catalogue (i.e. port 9).

• NetBIOS name is missing.

We need to look further into this. It's not implemented yet. We only get Domain name, SNMP name, bonjour/avahi name and custom name at the moment.

• A port scan would have revealed more information.

As above: at the moment we only scan a subset of ports, which are common and useful for the Remote Connection. But in future we will add more services (so, a more rich port scan).

• SNMP Location would be nice and could be used to populate "Place" field.

Good suggestion. We will put in our backlog.

• Not sure what the interface speed (not traffic) under SNMP tab is supposed to be, but 10mbps and 0mpbs on active ports seems incorrect (they are 1Gbps ports).

Actually the interface speed is the negotiated one between the switch and the connected device. Therefore, even if you hot a 1Gbps ports on your switch (and you already know about that), you might be more interested in the effective usage (e.g. 10mbps).

I suppose you see 0mpbs on a port which is not operational (nothing is plugged there). If I am wrong, just let us know and we will investigate further. 

TokyoIoT

Thanks for the feedback.

If the services listed are a result of a limited port scan, I would have assumed that you would only scan known port and that "unknown" would not show up as a service. Not knowing how it is implemented, it would be nice to list the port number, e.g. "port 9" rather than "unknown".

It would be nice if Domotz would provide the Bonjour services information; UPnP/DNLA services would be interesting as well.

Regarding the port speed, I have five wired ports all in use, the WAN port and two of the LAN ports are running at 1Gbps and two of the LAN ports are running at 100 Gbps. Domotz shows five enabled ports: eth0/10mbps, vlan1/10mbps, br0/0mpbs, eth1/0mpbs, eth2/0mbps. Not sure about the interface names being correct, but the port speed is obviously wrong.