Rudicircle

Generic Linux Agent

Rudicircle

A question for the developers:

Is there scope to release an agent that is compatible with more hardware in the future, for example: other Raspberry Pi-like mini computers?

I only ask because I've tried installing the agent on an ODroid C1+ (which also has an ARM procesor) running Xubuntu with no luck - the installation halted at an error stating something along the lines of the package only being compatible with ARM-based hardware (which had me a little confused).

It would also be handy for systems where there is already a PC in a rack that runs 24/7.

Giancarlo

Thanks Lars for pointing to the unofficial-hardware-support section, with regard to support for BeagleBone Black, Udoo, Banana Pi, etc (Pi-like mini computer)...

2 hours ago, Rudicircle said:

It would also be handy for systems where there is already a PC in a rack that runs 24/7.

There is also a  package (.deb) which runs on Intel based machines (e.g. servers with Debian/Ubuntu) on it. You can find the latest version of the package here:

http://portal.domotz.com/download/agent_packages/domotz-box-x64.deb

(sha1 check: http://portal.domotz.com/download/agent_packages/domotz-box-x64.deb.sha1)

Note: this is not yet released on the Portal WebPage, but we continue to test it, and it will be the release candidate package for the Domotz Box we are developing.

Feel free to install it on any Linux (Debian like) Intel based PC, and let us know if you face any issue.  

• Upvote 1

Rudicircle

Thanks for the info!

I'll try out that package once I get my hands on an Intel PC. (I did try it on a spare laptop I have here with with an amd64 processor, but also halted the installation.)

If I get anywhere with running it on Odroid I'll post it in the Unofficial Hardware section.

Giancarlo
11 hours ago, Rudicircle said:

I did try it on a spare laptop I have here with with an amd64 processor, but also halted the installation.

Which version of Debian like OS was it running on that laptop? Did the process of installation stuck during the start-up phase? 

Rudicircle

Hi (apologies for the long awaited reply)

It was running Lubuntu 15.04. If I remember correctly, the installation halted just before the start-up phase. The OS installation wasn't "clean" as I'd been testing a lot of things on it, so that could be part of the reasoning behind the failure.

The only reason I mention the OS cleanliness is because where I'd previously had a similar failure on an ODroid C1+ (again a PC I'd been using for testing many things) - yesterday I performed a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04 (with LXDE) and retried the Domotz agent installation (using the RPi/ARM package) and it works perfectly, if not better than on Raspberry Pi.

LFalkenburg

Runs fine under Debian 8.5 if you have set locale to en_US-UTF8 because the config script is looking for "inet addr" (if you set another language "inet addr" isn't there) AND it isn't working in IPv6 environments. I tried to correct that because I know Zabbix quite a bit but after that the agent refused to connect to you Server.

LF

mariusvam

I have just had installed the agent and when I login it says to start a 24 Hrs license. I remember signed for 21 days... How I start the 21 days?

Giancarlo
9 minutes ago, mariusvam said:

I have just had installed the agent and when I login it says to start a 24 Hrs license. I remember signed for 21 days... How I start the 21 days?

the trial period starts from when you create the Account (username). If you created few months back, that trial license is already expired.

However, if you didn't have the opportunity to trial the solution on your hardware, this is not a big issue. Just activate for 1 day and then shoot an email to support(at)domotz.com. We will be happy to extend the license for 3 weeks to let you trial it.