Sign in to follow this  
Rudicircle

Work on ODroid!

Rudicircle

I tried this once before and it failed at the very end of the installation, but I think the problem before was that the OS installation wasn't very clean (it was a system I'd been testing a lot of different things with).

Put a fresh copy of Ubuntu 14.04 (with LXDE) on and installed the raspberry pi package directly and it seems to be working just fine.

Alongside it I've also installed the Ubiquiti Unifi Controller (our main reason for using ODroid PCs) to check that the two can run concurrently without issues.

Details:

ODroid C1+ rev 0.4

16GB C10 Transcend Micro SD

Ubuntu 14.04 (available from odroid.com / odroid.in)

• Upvote 1

Rudicircle

A quick update on this one..

It's been running for a little over a week now without fault. Seems a lot more stable than the Raspberry Pi, plus it can double up as a fairly decent remote PC due to the extra processing power.

I've also got an ODroid C2 with me for testing (although I'm running short of Domotz licences), but I'm sure that'll work just as well as it is simply a more powerful version of the C1+.

Giancarlo

Thanks a lot for this update.

Glad to hear that it works fine on ODroid as well.

With regard to Raspberry Pi, so far we haven't recorded significant issues, even on quite big networks, with the Raspberry Pi provided by Domotz: it's just a pre-loaded Domotz agent on that hardware, with the OS tuned to host the agent itself. Plus: it provides auto-update and upgrade of the software, without any manual intervention by the installer.

Rudicircle
4 hours ago, Giancarlo said:

With regard to Raspberry Pi, so far we haven't recorded significant issues, even on quite big networks, with the Raspberry Pi provided by Domotz: it's just a pre-loaded Domotz agent on that hardware, with the OS tuned to host the agent itself. Plus: it provides auto-update and upgrade of the software, without any manual intervention by the installer.

That's definitely a good (or better) solution for most - I'm very hands-on, so I like to try all the possibilities and see what works. A destruction test, if you like.