Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confreg

vm appliance agent

confreg

Has anyone created a vm appliance in vmware or any other virtual image agent?

IJoe

Yes I have agents running on PHP virtualbox running inside Freenas boxes and then linux Mint installed on the VM and the debian generic agent running on that and as shoestring as it sounds its been running like a champ

Giancarlo

Basically, you need to create a Virtual Machine mounting a standard debian OS (512MB RAM, 64-bit). Below is a link to the image:

· http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.7.1/amd64/iso-cd/debian-8.7.1-amd64-netinst.iso

At this link there is a very good guide for virtualboxes: http://www.brianlinkletter.com/installing-debian-linux-in-a-virtualbox-virtual-machine/

The virtual machine you configure MUST have a bridged network card (virtual). Generally the virtualization software provides three kinds of network adapter:

· NAT - Your host will act as a router (firewall) and your hosts will be on a private subnet. Use this if you are not running servers on the guests. 

· Bridged - Your guests will get a ip address on the same subnet as your host. Use this if you are running servers on the guest and wish to connect from other computers on the LAN. 

· Host Only - Sort of a hybrid. As the name implies, with this option you can connect to the guest servers from the host only. Use this for "private" (host only) servers. I use this if I am running a test web server.

I think the default is NAT so please change it. On virtualbox you can easily configure it from the GUI.

Once you have a virtual machine up and running with a debian you have only to install and configure a domotz agent on it. 

You find the installation instructions below:

Step 1: LOG IN TO YOUR DEBIAN VM AS ROOT

root@debian ~$

Step 2: DOWNLOAD

root@debian ~$ wget https://portal.domotz.com/download/agent_packages/domotz-box-x64.deb

Step 3: INSTALL and START

root@debian ~$ sudo dpkg -i domotz-box-x64.deb

Wait for the Domotz Agent to install and start, this will take a few minutes. 

Get the IP address and port of the Domotz Agent from previous output.

Step 4: CONFIGURE

Please follow the on-screen instruction to complete the configuration of your Domotz Agent

IJoe

OMGosh Giancarlo I would have sold my mother for that write up two weeks ago, no fault of yours of course but I had to be stubborn and learn it all from scratch myself. One note is when switching from nat to bridged is set the advanced option to promiscuous "VM allow" and the scanner seems to function better but I don’t understand why so I could be mistaken.

Is there by chance a 32bit version of the agent for Debian I have a site on the lower end of things and stuck without a 64bit proc,

amclaugh

Awesome instructions Giancarlo.  I have the agent running successfully on a debian VM on FreeNAS.  Worked first time - very happy :)

Giancarlo
On 9/19/2016 at 5:32 AM, amclaugh said:

Awesome instructions Giancarlo.  I have the agent running successfully on a debian VM on FreeNAS.  Worked first time - very happy :)

Thanks amclaugh! We really like helping our users with their issue, and provide an over the top service.

However, if you go  on the mobile app stores (apple, android) we often get bad reviews from random users that just download the app and do not know how to get things working. Typically are people that do not even understand the concept of "agent" and expect to do everything from the app only. Some others complaining that the price of 2.99 per month is too high (which is ingenerous comment, there is a lot of hard work  behind!). Of course these comments have zero value: clearly these are people that do not need Domotz! But at the end this may affect our image.

So I want to take the chance to ask you, and anyone who likes Domotz Pro, to also put 5 marks on the app stores, and possibly add a nice comment.

We would really appreciate!

Ultimate_Sven

Thought I would put in my 2cents.

I have had my agent running in a vm for about 6 months now.

Running VMware ESXI 6 on a dell poweredge 2950. Running windows server and ubuntu 14.04 server.

Domotz is installed in the ubuntu server and has been running flawlessly ever since install.

BCinBC

Giancarlo,

I saw in a different thread about Synology that the Domotz engine does self-upgrades. Does the VM appliance agent do the same?

My agent became unresponsive yesterday and I did a re-install of the .deb file and the agent came back. (Not exactly sure why, if there's something I should look for in the logs, please tell me where to look.)  I'm wondering if and when it does an upgrade will it become unresponsive again? 

How can I tell what version of this is running? I don't see a version in the local web client at :3000.

Or do we have an updated agent to download? (I don't see any mention in the forums)

My system is running under VMWare ESX 6, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS current updates and has been instrumental in telling me just how good (or bad) by ISP has been for the past while. (I would LOVE, as L3rd said, to see a Docker engine for Domotz)

Ultimate_Sven
On 2/11/2017 at 0:43 PM, BCinBC said:

Giancarlo,

I saw in a different thread about Synology that the Domotz engine does self-upgrades. Does the VM appliance agent do the same?

My agent became unresponsive yesterday and I did a re-install of the .deb file and the agent came back. (Not exactly sure why, if there's something I should look for in the logs, please tell me where to look.)  I'm wondering if and when it does an upgrade will it become unresponsive again? 

How can I tell what version of this is running? I don't see a version in the local web client at :3000.

Or do we have an updated agent to download? (I don't see any mention in the forums)

My system is running under VMWare ESX 6, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS current updates and has been instrumental in telling me just how good (or bad) by ISP has been for the past while. (I would LOVE, as L3rd said, to see a Docker engine for Domotz)

I am running my agent in the same environment. Just upgraded to esxi 6.5 and running ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

The agent updates itself. To see the version just go to the domotz portal and it will show your agent version.

It might be a good idea to run a snapshot of your ubuntu vm so in case things start acting up after an update to the agent or kernal you can fall back to that snapshot.

That has saved me a few times!

BCinBC
On 13/02/2017 at 7:26 AM, Ultimate_Sven said:

I am running my agent in the same environment. Just upgraded to esxi 6.5 and running ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

The agent updates itself. To see the version just go to the domotz portal and it will show your agent version.

It might be a good idea to run a snapshot of your ubuntu vm so in case things start acting up after an update to the agent or kernal you can fall back to that snapshot.

That has saved me a few times!

Oddly enough, create a new snapshot was the first thing I did after I restored it. :)

I just re-installed the package and all was well again.