Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ravedog

Opinions on the dedicated domotz box?

ravedog

Is anyone here running the dedicated box (not the pi). If so, what advantages you see say over my Synology or pi. I know the pi's Ethernet is 100baseT so it's limited for speed tests.

thoughts?

hdsystems

The 1Gig eithernet is probably the biggest advantage right now. In the future, I think they will offer easier setup of VLAN's and maybe other things through an on-screen GUI. I would've like it to be a little shorter so it will fit on a 1U rack shelf, wall mount provisions, and NO POWER BUTTON!! (or at least recess it)

Will-DSI

Agree on 1U rack shelf, and a recessed power button. Its way to easy to hit it, and clients LOVE to push buttons..

eti

quick fix on power button, remove the case, then remove the power button, put case back on less power button.

you can still press it with a paper clip or tweaker

the 1U part does suck but, would be a waste of rack space anyway IMO, vertical mount it in the back of the rack.

A mounting bracket would be nice, we 3D printed one that works.

Will-DSI
9 hours ago, eti said:

quick fix on power button, remove the case, then remove the power button, put case back on less power button.

you can still press it with a paper clip or tweaker

the 1U part does suck but, would be a waste of rack space anyway IMO, vertical mount it in the back of the rack.

A mounting bracket would be nice, we 3D printed one that works.

I thought about a 3D printed mount, but was shot down by my company's design team.

ravedog

Thanks for all the feedback. Is the box accessed thru a CLI only? Or a web gui like the Synology version? 

Silvio

Well the box requires zero configuration. You plug in and it starts working (just need to go on the web page of the box itself for the initial configuation).

Also you will not have to take care of upgrades as they are automatically pushed by our backend.

You may need to access the box via cli or ssh only for setting up multi-vlan (if you need) or the static ip

LFalkenburg
On 24. Juni 2016 at 1:14 PM, Silvio said:

Well the box requires zero configuration. You plug in and it starts working (just need to go on the web page of the box itself for the initial configuation).

Also you will not have to take care of upgrades as they are automatically pushed by our backend.

You may need to access the box via cli or ssh only for setting up multi-vlan (if you need) or the static ip

Well, we could offer to maintain a Debian compatible Repository. Updates are easily done by 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' ;-) Because all our customers are working with virtualization its easy to implement an OVA file. It needs some time to download but we didn't need to install any additional hardware and could install domotz to any customer wherever he is located. 

Any worries if we would setup a Repository?

ravedog

Thanks for all the info. Got my box yesterday and love it so far. 

SpivR

Would like to see an LED  indicate when the box is booted and ready.  I plugged in the HDMI port and watched it boot for the first time, and it does a netboot which take a long time to re-initialize everything the first time through.

Maybe make the power-on LED multi-colored with white for power-on and green or amber for connected to LAN and ready.