Sign in to follow this  
System_Error_Message

SNMP and scripts

System_Error_Message

Hi i have a number of networking devices that support SNMP that i would prefer to monitor as well aside from the connected clients. I've used different monitoring software in the past but i'd prefer one that only shows the features that a particular device has so i dont get blank pages a lot and it makes it easier to see what can be monitored. Monitoring LAN and internet usage from a router is easy but its not easy when you have a few APs, some managed switches and some routers and smart devices/sensors side from the other devices that connect to the network. A lot of routers do support SNMP even consumer ones and it would be much easier to be able to monitor it using a server on a device like the raspberry pi that uses barely any electricity. This is great for 24/7 use since you could power the raspberry pi from the USB port of a router.

I'd also like to know if there will be some sort of scripting functionality available to link different parts of the agent together such as if a device goes down to wake up or sleep another system or even to determine what actions would be taken when something happens. I know that some GUI options should be included by default for those who dont really know coding or administration and since Domotz is going to use the raspberry pi i figured that python might be a good choice or some sort of scripting language that already exists that can be implemented without much effort.

Silvio

Thanks for the inputs.

Enhanced support of SNMP and easy-to-use API to process events and trigger actions are in our roadmap.  

In the first version we are focusing on features very centered around a bunch of user needs (mobile-app UI, status of devices, email and app alerts, support  on/off for smart plugs, remote+secure access to all web services of devices, network connectivity checks and tests, ability to access to all features from anywhere via cloud). So, I am sorry you are not going to see these monitoring features in the very first version, but hope you will enjoy all the features of our Home Network Assistant.

S.

System_Error_Message

When you say cloud its like you're saying it needs internet to work which is a very big problem with many smart devices. Obviously internet would be needed for it to work remotely but wouldnt it be easier if the device running it could be directly queried?. So instead of going to domotz cloud to see your devices you could use port forwarding/VPN and just query the server directly. Using LAN when possible for the app to connect to the server would be cheaper for domotz and more responsive for the app which sits well in the privacy question and security since you could connect to your home using VPN. Although SSL or HTTPS does add security for using the app through the cloud but it needs to be enforced with certs and keys.

A lot of smart devices require internet to function which can go horribly wrong if the internet connection drops for a minute which is not uncommon to get a few packet losses but it also makes them expensive since the manufacturer has to provide the server to handle the processing for the smart devices on top of the status page and development costs for their products and apps. The issue with this is that there arent many good coders and with the CPUs that smart devices use bad programming becomes very apparent when the CPU has no out of order processing such as the ARM A7 that the raspberry pi2 uses. It is also common that consumer routers arent stable enough to run 24/7 reliably.

• Upvote 1

Lars

In the latest build we made the apps talk directly to the Domotz Agent over the local network, if the app detects it's on the same subnet, thus bypassing the internet.

My previous job was with a company that made home automation products and I've tested several different gateways from several different manufacturers and yes, you're absolutely correct that relying 100% on an internet connection/the cloud, is a terrible thing. This is likely why SmartThings second generation gateway has gotten "offline" support and more beefed up hardware for example.

Edited by Lars

System_Error_Message

Its great that Domotz is taking both approaches by having it connect over LAN when possible and through Domotz server when it cant.

Just out of curiosity does Domotz detect the server by using a layer 2 protocol or layer 3? This is because layer 2 doesnt get forwarded over VPN. 

Silvio

Just want to stress a point.

Domotz is mainly meant to be able to connect from "anywhere you are" so our top priority is to make everything accessible via cloud. Some of the features, will also be accessible locally since the beginning, but "full local support" will not be much complete in the initial versions. Please do not expect too much in the first beta :) 

About connectivity, we definitely use SSL and https for communications.