Monthly Subscriptions Are Here Read more... ×
eembee

Virtual Keyboard does not appear on Connect (iPhone 6S Plus, iOS 9.3.2)

eembee

Hello,

While I am able to establish connections to devices from my iPhone (ex.: SSH, Web), I am unable to make the virtual keyboard appear, which basically means that I am unable to enter credentials and use remote access from my iPhone. (The only exception is when I am connecting to a website with pop-up authentication. When the pop-up dialog appears, the normal virtual keyboard appears also.)

Is this a bug? Am I missing something?

I am using: iPhone 6S Plus, iOS 9.3.2, same behaviour over LTE or Wi-Fi

Thanks for any insight or assistance.

Edited by eembee

hdsystems

Swipe left to right on the top of the screen for clipboard and keyboard options.

It's demo'd here 

• Upvote 1

eembee

Sorry to be obtuse, I thought perhaps it was because I was not pressing long enough, but it still does not work (see attached movie). I am able to slide out a white page, which quickly disappears and back to the connection screen (without keyboard).

I was able to make it appear once, but not for any other device. I restarted the mobile app and was again able to make the slider appear once.

Any other insight?

Thanks.

Domotz Virtual Keyboard won't appear v2.mp4

hdsystems

Try it twice. I have to do it twice pretty much every time. I'm use to it so I forgot to mention it. After the first time, you get the white screen then it returns to the regular screen. After the second time, the option screen should appear.

eembee

Hi, well, to follow up on this, I really can't see a pattern on the exact number of attempts required before it works. Sometimes I get it on second attempt, sometimes on first, sometimes on fifth. I did, however, determine that reinstalling the app now guarantees the keyboard appears at one point, which was not the case before. Thanks again.

Edited by eembee

JPL4

Same issue here.. I have been able to drag out the input options screen, however, changing any of these options results in crashing the browser.

SpivR

This is the strangest UI I have ever seen.  It almost never works for me and when I finally get the slide-over, it says the session timed-out and has to re-connect and start the UI dance all over again.

Can we PLEASE get a normal, rational remote telnet session with iOS keyboard input?

Apple, 3rd party terminal emulators, and the rest of the entire freaking world has solved this UI problem in a standard, usable way.  Why the screwed-up UI from Domotz?

I usually deploy a separate inbound VPN router but this time I had to (try) and use Domotz.  Now I remember why I gave up on it in the past for any real remote access work.

wvaneeden

I have to agree that this is useless. I have been trying to access the keyboard now for about 30 minutes and am totally frustrated. I keep doing it over and over and nothing, then all of a sudden a white screen that then just keeps sliding all the way to the right and cannot be stopped and dissapears. Sometimes the white screen has the text on it to enable typing, but it never stops sliding so that I can actually set it.

Just fix this so we can actually get a keyboard, else this is just a useless app for me. 

Giancarlo

I apologize for this inconvenient. Unfortunately there is not an easy fix for that, a part from the method showed in the video.

However, as a workaround, instead of connecting directly to the SSH, you can create a Custom TCP Tunnel (same page of the Remote Connect) to port 22, and then use your preferred SSH client on your mobile phone (e.g. Termius: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/termius/id549039908?mt=8).

SpivR

Thanks for pointing out the SSH/TCP tunnel workaround.  Having said that, I must, for the record, state that the appeal of Domotz is the ease of use and simplicity of being able to do everything from a web browser portal or the iOS app.

As a former programmer and part-time iOS developer, I have to say your explanation is pretty vague.  Either you have bolted-on a closed-source 3rd party module/library for the remote access feature (and thus cannot easily change the way it operates), or you have run into an architectural/functional limitation of choosing to use a klunky cross-platform base for the iOS and Android apps instead of a true native app.  Either hurdle is concerning because it shows that you don't "control your destiny" with what we, as customers, consider important.

I understand your focus is on the embedded agent and software so you can keep selling it to your OEM partners, but this is very disappointing.  Although the non-native iOS app has always, to say the least, not been may favorite part of the Domotz solution, it has, at least, been fully functional with improvements to address its limitations.

boojew

On a iPhone Xs max with iOS 12, I can’t get the swipe to work at all. Could you not just add a button at the bottom of the screen to bring up the keyboard??