Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

j0nz

Questions regarding violet

j0nz

So there does not seem to be a place to ask questions about violet. Perhaps you could set up a separate section for these... And here is a question to start off the forum with...

How does the internet blocking work for devices? As far as I can see the device does not connect to domotz or violet when is use and so I cannot see how the block will work

Tommaso

Hi j0nz,

good point. We will create soon a separate section for Violet.

In the meantime, let me briefly explain how the blocking feature works: we exploit fing technology to redirect at layer 2 of Internet Protocol Stack the traffic from the router to our box, which simply discard them.

The result is a "digital" kick out: either the device has full connection to local network or all the traffic is ignored.

j0nz

this does not seem to be working for me...... I have tired to kick off a wireless device and a wired device but neither got kicked off. 

Where can I find more information and documentation  for Violet?

thanks

Giancarlo
On 11/30/2016 at 0:13 AM, j0nz said:

this does not seem to be working for me...... I have tired to kick off a wireless device and a wired device but neither got kicked off. 

Where can I find more information and documentation  for Violet?

thanks

Hi J0nz,

please note that this particular feature from Violet is only available on Domotz HW (either Box or the Pi).

According with our logs, only one of your agents is hosted on such hardware.

Please, contact support if the issue you are encountering with the blocking feature relates to that Agent.

j0nz

Sorry can you please clarify.... All of my devices are (now) raspberry pi's built with the Domotz instructions for installing Domotz on to it. Are you saying that the Domotz boxes and the raspberry pi builds that Domotz supply have different functionality to the installs that you offer on your web site??

I still have not been able to get a device blocked on my network.

I am still looking for more information and support on the violet software to be available. 

thanks 

J0nz

j0nz

Is there any more information available... and my question......

Giancarlo

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I confirm that both the Domotz Box and Domotz Pi provide additional software (e.g. the blocking feature) which is not available and released as software to be installed on your hardware. 

j0nz

is it going to be supported in the self build version of Domotz?

If not is there a way that these options can be removed from violet otherwise we have a client facing application that has a feature available in the GUI that does nothing... Undermines the usefulness of violet as a re seller tool

Atoshi
On 11/29/2016 at 8:27 PM, Tommaso said:

Hi j0nz,

good point. We will create soon a separate section for Violet.

In the meantime, let me briefly explain how the blocking feature works: we exploit fing technology to redirect at layer 2 of Internet Protocol Stack the traffic from the router to our box, which simply discard them.

The result is a "digital" kick out: either the device has full connection to local network or all the traffic is ignored.

What's the method for doing this? Are you spoofing source or destination mac? Just wondering if this would trow an alarm on an IDS system or cause an issue on the switch. 

Tommaso

The destination MAC address: our device behaves like a black hole for the traffic.