imanuk

Violet - Business not Home Customer - Multi Site - Further customisation

imanuk

Our sites are mostly business sites not home users, so violet seems a bit misplaced for them, I would like to see far more customization, to allow us to prescribe what an app shows, for some users it may only be a few items of many on their network, others it might be several sites (agents) and all or a few devices from each. Essentially most of he customisation and setup of alerts in violet shouldn't be soley in the app we should have access to it from domotz. I look forward to seeing developments. 

Kindly, John

• Upvote 1

GregS

I wouldn't even call Violent friendly for home users. Too much extraneous stuff in there that I just want to get rid of.

Allow us to show them a few devices that they can see if they are online/offline and then reboot them.

• Upvote 1

TimR

imanuk, I have a similar opinion of Violet. We are a multi-location business set across 4 states. I can see potential for using Violet in our locations, but it is just too tailored to a home market.

• Upvote 1

imanuk

Thanks for the +1 TimR hopefully violet may get an upgrade or even better a complete rework a brother (Victor?!) with the slew of changes being amped before and during cedia conference! 

TimR

Did you see the announcement for 2.0? Ok, so not a full announcement and no details, but still hopeful. And I'd like to nominate Vincent and Vladamir as options for the brother app.

mydigitalbubble

Agree with @TimR and @imanuk

Most of our clients have more of a business focus -managing tech at holiday villas and other small businesses where the owner has an interest/wants an overview of system availability. The spilt between Domotz Pro for us and Violet for the client was perfect. The main thing missing was multi-site support for the end user app. So excited to see Violet 2 arrive.

Downloaded and installed straight away on our test setup.

My initial reaction follows.....

SO DISAPPOINTED with what it has become. Much more domestic focussed and about managing 'user' devices. Cant even launch the App without telling it about/setting up 'people'. All core home tech gets lumped into 'Under the hood' Given that only about 10% of the devices we deploy in a smart home may be an end user device and the majority are home tech, AV, controls and sensors etc, this is completely the wrong emphasis for the enthusiast client.

Dashboard/homepage all about 'who's home' and not about the status of devices or connectivity.

For the holiday property rental market, knowing the status of personal devices is only relevant for the duration of someones stay. They key to smooth operation is for the owner to be able to monitor the infrastructure kit. WiFi AP's, broadband status. etc.

Violet 2 is an ABSOLUTE DISASTER.  

This has become far too consumer focussed for our purposes. @DomotzTeam Was there any warning about such a radical change in direction for the Violet App - I don't recall seeing it. PLEASE can we go back to the way it was?

TimR

For me Violet went from "this may be useful" for my company to "well, that won't work" with the latest iteration. The features added will be useful for those to whom it was targeted, but  it just won't work for our corporate/branch office structure. I would love to see an app focused toward business, but it's clear it would need to be a new app altogether.

That being said, Violet wasn't the reason we started with domotz, but an interesting side note. It allows me to manage IT infrastructure quickly and passively, which allows me to focus attention elsewhere.

I'm pleased to see some of the other new features added to the portal and especially to hear of bulk discounts on credits. 

imanuk

I have had a good rummage through violet 2.0 and can see it is delivering a lot of what the fingbox set out to do https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fingbox-network-security-wi-fi-troubleshooting#/ owned by domotz.

So I think really it's allowing us as installers to offer domotz to a customer and then offer them fingbox via violet rather than us installing domotz for us and fingbox for them. 

Still I think brother Vincent would be a great addition if focused on business user needs and for that I may consider the monthly subscription added to violet an acceptable option.

Violet is what it is it would seem and is not what I wish it were, just so glad I didn't push it on customers and then have them all on the phone asking why the app was now not what I had originally installed, that would have been frustrating!! 

mydigitalbubble

regrettably, I have been pushing it to customers- its been a key element of encouraging client adoption of domotz. Now I have to deal with the fall-out. Really hacked off about it. Will likely kill off end user adoption for my lot.