Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ilkevinli

Custom Groups in the phone Apps

ilkevinli

Hi,

I would like to request the ability to create custom groups and be able to select which devices go into those specific groups.

Domenico

Do  you want additional grouping flexbility (currently by make, type location) or additional types (AudioVideo, Canera, Home Automation..)? what about if we introduced tags (ie. an additional field other than type)  or do you want to add your type of device? can you give me an example of a custom group you have in mind?

ilkevinli

Do  you want additional grouping flexbility (currently by make, type location) or additional types (AudioVideo, Canera, Home Automation..)? what about if we introduced tags (ie. an additional field other than type)  or do you want to add your type of device? can you give me an example of a custom group you have in mind?

For example, I would like to create a Group called "Tivos" and be able to put all the Tivos in this group. I would like to create a group called switches and be able to put all my networked switches in there. Those types of examples. Then for sorting, you can put another option called "Custom" and have it sort the custom groups alphabetically.

This would also allow me for example, to keep my NAS labeled as a NAS, but put it in the Network Group.

Domenico

got it. we call it "Tags", it's basically an additional sortable field entirely user based. It's something we thought about but then it was left in the wish list as other stuff piled up ahead. We'll get it back on the map. Thks for the feedback. 

Shillz09

Another feature to go with this:   Custom alerts per "Tag"
If something is tagged as "camera" -- i want a mobile alert for up, down, and HB lost.

If something is tagged as "security" -- I want email alerts for up and down....

If something is tagged as "security" and "camera" -- I want mobile for up, down, and HB lost, PLUS email alerts for up and down.

ilkevinli

Another feature to go with this:   Custom alerts per "Tag"
If something is tagged as "camera" -- i want a mobile alert for up, down, and HB lost.

If something is tagged as "security" -- I want email alerts for up and down....

If something is tagged as "security" and "camera" -- I want mobile for up, down, and HB lost, PLUS email alerts for up and down.

I didn't even think about that. I agree that would be a great feature.

Shillz09

How about sub-tags?
Example:  I could go as far as to say that "Camera" is a sub-tag of "Security".

If I tag something as "camera", it automatically inherits the alerts from "security" too. So I don't need to double-tag devices.

Domenico

Sounds like you really like these tags! So did I actually, but for a variety of reason it dropped off the list. Anyway, point taken and noted. In the meantime though, please be aware that you already have a Note field which is fully customizable by the user. Theoretically, in the short term, you could use that as your tag and we could make it a groupable field, at least until we introduce the real Tag. Anyway, we'll talk internally and revert.

PS. Alert on IF conditions very cool and certainly the direction we want to go to but will take a little longer. 

Rodpumas

Please consider adopting the device types over from Fingbox. You have a much better selection to choose from in that program.