kwiebe

Device TCP Tunnel/Custom Connections

kwiebe

Hi,

Confused about the message saying "only users on your local LAN" will be able to connect, after setting this up.  It seems like that defeats the purpose.  Also the hostname which is referenced is a Domotz external host, so I'm thinking that the TCP tunnel is created so that it can be accessed externally.  Otherwise, you would not need a tunnel, I'm thinking.

Also, the documentation for custom connections mentions having a button to remove a custom connection, but I don't see it.  All I see is a "Re-Activate" button.

Giancarlo

Dear Kwiebe,

the message "only users on your local LAN" might be misleading, I recognize that. What it actually means, is that only the "clients" from the same network where you started the Remote Connections can access remotely to that device. Just to make it as an example: if you create the Remote Connection on the "Open a TCP Tunnel" from your Office to your Home Network device, you can access the Host/Port from your computer in the Office. Moreover one of your colleagues in your same office can also reach that Host/Port. However, that Host/Port cannot be accessed from outside your Office (e.g. if you send the URL to email to somebody else/elsewhere, he won't be able to use it from outside your Office network). This has been done for security purposes.

On the other hand, the native remote connections (HTTP, HTTPS, Telnet, SSH and RDP) are only available from the exact same computer/device initializing the Remote Connection. In this case, if you pass the URL to your colleague in your same office, he won't be able to use that URL.

With regard to the Remove a Custom Connection, please press on the "X" on the connection to be removed:

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 4.36.01 PM.png

Note: by default each connection only last for 1 hour (again forsecurity reasons, in order not to keep open connections)

kwiebe

Excellent, thanks for the explanation and quick response.  Once again, I have to tell you how much I like your platform and service!  Nothing else like it, and you have a polished implementation too.  Much appreciated.

• Upvote 3