jburk

Feedback and Frustrations (after a week)

jburk

I've had the product in use about a week, first impression is that 21 days is really not enough time to get to know the product and explore it, but I will give feedback thus far.

We've been looking for a product to replace PRTG, one main reason for this is the cost of windows licensing and the constant overhead of windows updates, just to keep a PRTG probe going at a customer site. We really are looking for a single platform for residential, SMB and Enterprise.

As a Pro A/V dealer as well as IT/MSP, Domotz was initially attractive because we need to monitor Network Devices but also A/V and Cameras as well. We have, however, already hit limitations that would keep us from moving to this platform.

A. We are using a Debian VM on VMware as our demo box. I have no idea why the network functionality is so limited, but it is. Therefore, we cannot even begin to test additional subnet scanning or VLAN functionality - this due to a limitation in Domotz, not our hardware or software.

B. In many of our K-12, Hospital and Enterprise campus locations, there will be variable-length subnet masks in use. Reading Domotz documentation, it appears that we will only be able to monitor /24 subnets which in many cases will be unacceptable.

C. Obviously in many deployments, we will not be able to trunk all of the vlans which would need to be monitored directly to the Domotz Agent. Often, even if all of the VLANS existed on the switch, it would be a large number of interfaces to create.

I will add to this as I finish out my 21 days - looking for answers on whether some of these limitations are roadmapped for improvement? If so, we could look at beginning to migrate some of our small resi/smb customers over, then Mid and Enterprise as this product gets a little more primetime...

jburk

After reading the manual some more, and deploying a Pi. It seems we won't even be able to test the Remote/Private Subnet features at all due to the demo licensing is not Advanced...

Giancarlo

Thanks for your feedback.

With regard to the Advanced plan trial, we know this limitation, and in 2 weeks this should be resolved. New users will be able to trial for 21 days, regardless the number of Agents they want to install and regardless the plan. At the moment, we have such limitation: therefore I took the liberty of adding a few credits to your account, so that you can extend your existing Agents, and also perform a proper trial on the Advanced plan.

With regard to the limitations you listed, please note that the Domotz Agent will scan automatically the main interface (i.e. eth0) with a maximum network size of /22.

However, you are allowed to add VLANs as you like. Note that the Domotz Agent, when hosted on your own hardware, cannot perform network interface re-configuration to configure VLANs. On the other hand, this is possible on the Domotz Box (where we own the network stack and we can perform that kind of action).

In the cases you are not able to configure additional VLANs (truck - Layer 2), Domotz offer the possibility to scan routed subnets (maximum size of each subnet is /24), when the Agent is configured on the Advanced Plan. Note that when the scan is on a Layer 3 (routed subnets), the scan is not able to retrieve MAC address of devices. Therefore, this is only recommended on subnets using static IP.

I hope this helps clarifying. For any other doubt, or if you need specific assistance, you can send an email to support@domotz.com 

TimAG

Hello Giancarlo,

Out of your comment above, can I clarify one thing please.

You mention that when the Domotz Agent is hosted on "own" hardware it is limited to its vlan scan because of the inability to re-configure, where as on the Domotz Box this is not an issue.

Does this also apply to 3rd party hostings, i.e. when hosted on one of the switches that sells themselves as having Domotz included? (i.e. the Luxul routers)

Or alternatively said, we should always buy the standalone Domotz box to have the "full" functionality?

Thank you,

Tim.

christorres

So, i have eth0 assigned a subnet of /16 (255.255.0.0). If the limit is /22. then I should still be able to add an individual IP address outside of the /24 mask as an single external host/IP... but Domotz reports that the IP is already being monitored... but it doesn't show on the web portal. I so can't even add one host within the /16 subnet that the interface is assigned? 

Giancarlo
On 9/25/2018 at 3:28 AM, TimAG said:

You mention that when the Domotz Agent is hosted on "own" hardware it is limited to its vlan scan because of the inability to re-configure, where as on the Domotz Box this is not an issue.

Does this also apply to 3rd party hostings, i.e. when hosted on one of the switches that sells themselves as having Domotz included? (i.e. the Luxul routers)

The Luxul Router have on its own the possibility to configure multiple-VLANs and make them available to the Domotz Software running on the Luxul Router itself. Therefore, even though it is not possible to configure multiple-VLANs from the Domotz Agent WebGui, when the Domotz Agent is hosted on the Luxul Router users can configure multiple-VLANs on the Router itself (from the Router WebGui) and make them available to the Domotz Agent software. This is available on the latest Epic 3, 4 and 5 Router firmwares. 

---

On 9/25/2018 at 1:40 PM, christorres said:

So, i have eth0 assigned a subnet of /16 (255.255.0.0). If the limit is /22. then I should still be able to add an individual IP address outside of the /24 mask as an single external host/IP... but Domotz reports that the IP is already being monitored... but it doesn't show on the web portal. I so can't even add one host within the /16 subnet that the interface is assigned? 

I am really sorry for this. As a matter of fact, there is currently this limitation: if the network is configured as /16, you won't be able to configure other parts of that network as additional subnets in Domotz.

Our engineering team is working to remove this limitation.

One possible workaround, for the moment, would be to configure the Domotz Box on a Static IP with a smaller subnet mask, and then you will be able to configure the additional part of network as external subnets.

For example, let's imagine you have the following situation:

Main Network: 172.16.0.0/16

And you want to monitor two different parts of that network through the Domotz Box:

• 172.16.0.0/22
  • 172.16.50.0/24
  • 172.16.65.0/24

You can basically configure the Domotz Box to sit on the first part of the network, with a smaller mask:

• Configure the Box with Static IP. E.g.
    • IP: 172.16.2.25
    • mask: 255.255.252.0
  • In that case, you will be allowed to add scanning of the additional part of subnets:
    • 172.16.50.0/24
    • 172.16.65.0/24