Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Domenico

Support for managed network switches

Domenico

One of the upcoming features we will be introducing by the end of November is SNMP support for a variety of devices starting with Managed Network Switches. We are currently working on Cisco SG 200 and SG 300 product family but will shortly after November extend to other brands. You will be able to monitor traffic and errors on all ports of a switch. Other functionality we are planning to enable later is the following:

• Automatic association of Switch Port Number to Named Device
  • Power toggling function for POE switches
  • Port based Diagnostic data (bandwidth, packet loss, collision etc.) 

As this is a work-in-progress feature which we are currently developing, please don't be shy in sharing with us what you would like to see here and what brands of network switch you would like supported. 

P3R

I would like support for the feature-rich and affordable Netgear Smart Switches, more specifically the GS108Tv2 and GS724Tv3 that I use.

Silvio

Ilkevinl, P3R,

I can confirm our team can work at supporting also the TP-link and Netgear switches you requested. Realistically in the very first instance of SNMP support (that we are trying to target by the november), we should be able to make available, for each port of your switches:

- inbound & outbound traffic

- admin & operation status

- incoming & outgoing errors

- name & description of the port

IMPORTANT: everything will be automatically detected by Domotz with no configuration at the user end. The only requirement is that the switches should have the SNMP community configured as PUBLIC (this is usually the default value). 

I would really love if we could involve you for a very little test/check with your specific models. I will contact you privately soon. 

raditz

Silvio,

I have a GS724TP. I'm happy to assist with testing. Let me know what I can do to help.

Giancarlo

We have performed successful tests with some of you and I can now confirm that for the first feature on Network Switches (Port based Diagnostic Data) we are able to support Netgear and TP-Link Switches as well.

Thanks for your help. Keep providing constructive feedbacks as the ones above.

JohnKiniston

Mikrotik support would be great, Like the RB260GS

Giancarlo

Mikrotik support would be great, Like the RB260GS

@JohnKiniston: as far as you enable SNMP on the RouterBoard with community default value ("public"), we should be able to retrieve information also from the Mikrotik. Please, let me know if you want to perform a test on your router as well, as soon as you enable the SNMP on that one. You should be able to do it from within the SwOs Web Portal. Follow instructions on how to enable SNMP on that SwOS here:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS#SNMP_Tab

Also, make sure to have firmware version SwOS v1.8 (on the RB260GS) or above, since in previous version there were some issues in reporting correct data with regard to SNMP on Network Interfaces.

fillibar

Looking forward to working with the managed switch I got. It is an old Linksys model but SNMP should be functional. 

System_Error_Message

i have both the netgear gs724T and the mikrotik CRS226. The mikrotik CRS is both a switch and a router but is mainly a switch but it has more than SMNP. Technically domotz should be able to detect it but it doesnt same for any other device on my network.

TokyoIoT

I am considering getting a Netgear GS108T. The Ciscos are nice switches but so expensive. Are you supporting CDP?

ilkevinli

Are the SNMP features working yet ? Not sure how I view that data. Thank you.

ilkevinli

Also, my Asus RT-AC3100 router has an SNMP option. Any chance of supporting that ? Thanks.

Asus.png

Giancarlo
18 hours ago, TokyoIoT said:

I am considering getting a Netgear GS108T. The Ciscos are nice switches but so expensive. Are you supporting CDP?

As far as it concern standard SNMP data on interface traffic, we are going to support the Netgear as well.

CDP is something which is probably a bit further in the list of features to realize: though it is very very powerful, most of our users do not even know how to configure the discovery protocol.

4 hours ago, ilkevinli said:

Also, my Asus RT-AC3100 router has an SNMP option. Any chance of supporting that ? Thanks.

You should set the SNMP get community to be "public" (default one): at the moment we don't store user passwords anywhere.

The SNMP functionality is on our list of new features to enable in the short term, and we already have a part of that functionality (data gathering). However I don't know exactly when that will be implemented in the front-end (App or WebApp).

TokyoIoT
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎38‎:‎02‎, ilkevinli said:

Asus.png

You can enter the SNMP name, location, and contact, but Domotz only seems to support SNMP name and system description at this time. Enter public as the SNMP Get Community and you should be good to go.

ilkevinli
1 minute ago, TokyoIoT said:

You can enter the SNMP name, location, and contact, but Domotz only seems to support SNMP name and system description at this time. Enter public as the SNMP Get Community and you should be good to go.

I have done that. I assume there isn't a place to view the data yet ?

TokyoIoT

The SNMP Name and System Description should be visible on the device Info tab.

ilkevinli
2 minutes ago, TokyoIoT said:

The SNMP Name and System Description should be visible on the device Info tab.

I see that, but I'm talking about the port speed, through put, etc ...

TokyoIoT
2 minutes ago, ilkevinli said:

I see that, but I'm talking about the port speed, through put, etc ...

In my previous post I wrote

Domotz only seems to support SNMP name and system description at this time.

Giancarlo

TokyoIoT is correct: at the moment we are only supporting Name and Description from SNMP. 

However, we will support also Network Interfaces details through SNMP also for Asus as well: it will include few details for each port: statuses, IN/Out traffic, errors, etc. 

martyn

Would love to see support for Cisco switches if this does not exist already?

Silvio

Martyn,

next week we are releasing two new features:

• Automatic association of Switch Port Number to Named Device (which is a pretty unique feature that not many tools have)
  • Power toggling function for POE switches

The next week version will only be certified for Luxul switches. (because is the first one we started with), but after 1-2 weeks also Cisco (and other manufacturers) will come.

insurroundsound

My networking architecture at home has multiple SG300 switches and multiple VLAN set up.  I'm currently running the agent on my QNAP TS251+ NAS.  It sits on VLAN5.  It seems to only discover the network items on VLAN5.  Does the domotz agent need to be on VLAN1 (same as my switches) to discover everything (hoping I don't have to switch IP address of my NAS)?  Or do I need to setup something in the QNAP NAS to support discovery across the VLANS.

Giancarlo

We do not recommend the support of multiple VLANs from NAS (though you can configure it on your own). 

We do recommend using a Raspberry Pi or the Domotz Box for this.

Instruction here:

jonbennell

Will you be able to support custom SNMP community strings? Using 'public' and 'private' in considered bad practice and poses security risk.