Monthly Subscriptions Are Here Read more... ×
TaylorSystems

Windows 10 Agent Manager Constantly Shows 'Starting'

TaylorSystems

I had been running the Windows 10 Domotz Agent on a computer at a client's business for over a month. Things seemed fine, but the past week has the Windows 10 Domotz Agent showing that it is 'Starting'... and waiting for the VM. It looks like the VM never completely finishes starting so the Domotz Agent can run in the background.

How should I proceed to find the root cause of this problem?

-Larry-

Andrea

Hi @TaylorSystems,

In few particular cases we've experienced VMs not being able to obtain an IP Address. This results in it never becoming reachable from our Domotz Manager app.

With this scenario the Agent running on it is not able to connect to our servers.

When installing Domotz did you choose to install it as a service on Windows?

Kind regards,

Andrea Tondo

TaylorSystems

Andrea, sorry for the late response (working on client problems).

Anyway, during the installation, although the agent appeared to install Ok, the 'Installation of the Service' did not complete because it pre-filled the username field with the wrong username and therefore no password would work. However, the agent did work for scanning and setting up the account.

However, upon restarting the system, the agent never goes into the 'Running' state (always the 'Starting' state).

I am attaching a screenshot.

Domotoz Agent Trying to Start (2019-01-15).png

Andrea

@TaylorSystems,

Thank you for the additional information, could you please try to open the VM terminal and paste the result of

ifconfig

command? Credentials to log into the VM are username: domotz, password: domotz.

Please note that VirtualBox would allow you to open the VM terminal if Domotz has not been installed as a Windows Service, but since this is the case we can try to look into it.

Kind regards,

Andrea Tondo

TaylorSystems

I found the root cause for this.

When you mentioned that 'not finding' the IP address of the VM running the Domotz Agent was a known cause for this problem... I started looking into 'related' conditions that would appear the same.  I found that the VM somehow latched onto a VPN that was configured in the system, instead of bridging the network card.  I merely changed the VM Network configuration back to using the local network card (bridged) and everything snapped back to normal.

Thanks for the tips and help!