Giancarlo

Let's start discussing about possible usage of Domotz Public API

Giancarlo

As you might be aware, in Q4 2018 we opened our cloud-based RESTful API to the public to be used by Domotz Users to get information out of our cloud or update configuration or more.

Any developers has now have an easy and comprehensive way to integrate third party applications with the Domotz Pro solution for several purposes. E.g.:

• Custom Dashboards: you can build your own dashboard to show the status of all the devices you are monitoring for your customers, and you can enrich it with your own data
  • Asset Management: you can build your own Asset Management tool. In an instant, you can retrieve the enriched list of all the devices online/offline in any single network you monitor and manage through Domotz
  • Customized Reports: create your customized reports and provide them to your customers. You can create and host on your servers script to extract data out of Domotz and prepare PDF or XLS sheet you can finalize with your own data
  • Identify the most trouble device: create your custom script to extract the most troubled devices among all your Agents for example by identifying which one drops out of the network the most often
  • self-healing script: write your own script that reboot a device (either through the connected PDU or PoE port of the switch, or through soft reboot) in the case it is discovered offline
  • much more: the only limit is your imagination

We will use this area of the forum to post open source code, developed using the Domotz Public API and to get feedback on those.

Please, use this section also to ask questions or advices on how to best use the Domotz Public API for your specific use cases.

For reference, Documentation related to the latest version of the Public API is available here.

• Like 1

emes

First of all, thanks very much for this!

I would love to be able to do a REST streaming call which would return device status changes (JSON) as they happen.  This is better for both sides, since it's a nailed-up connection, we avoid the overhead of connection setup and time delay between polling cycles.  

• Like 1

Rolf

Any chance you could use this API to output configurations to ITGlue for documentation of client sites?

Giancarlo
On 9/6/2019 at 10:20 AM, Rolf said:

Any chance you could use this API to output configurations to ITGlue for documentation of client sites?

Absolutely: you can use the List of Device API or the Device Details API to get information out of the Domotz Pro cloud and then import into ITGlue.

We also have users who have used the Export in XLS functionality (available from the WebApp) and then imported the data into ITGlue.

In any case, it is worth to mention that we are trying to get in contact with the ITGlue team to have a proper integration between the two systems. On this matter, if you have a good contact in ITGlue, please send me a Private Message.

On 2/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, emes said:

First of all, thanks very much for this!

I would love to be able to do a REST streaming call which would return device status changes (JSON) as they happen.  This is better for both sides, since it's a nailed-up connection, we avoid the overhead of connection setup and time delay between polling cycles.  

It is possible to get notification of status changes of the devices by using WebHook as a Contact Channel for alert.

https://domotzpro.tome.host/tc/14140

Therefore, you can configure a Shared Alert with WebHooks (which points to your web server to receive notification), and then setup the Alert on the Devices and Agents for which you would like to receive a device status change notification.

Giancarlo
On 9/9/2019 at 12:48 AM, Rolf said:

ITGlue have said: "reach out Product team at product@itglue.com to discuss building an integration."

Thanks for your input Rolf. I'll definitely reach out to their product team.

22Element

Any update on ITGlue integration? How about Connectwise Manage for downtime/uptime ticket creation and solve? Would be a great add at our clients

GregS

Is it possible to add tiles to the Domotz interface?

Add extra buttons/links per device?

I have additional information I gather per device that I would like to link to but not create a whole other user interface.

Giancarlo
23 hours ago, 22Element said:

Any update on ITGlue integration? How about Connectwise Manage for downtime/uptime ticket creation and solve? Would be a great add at our clients

We are in contact with the Product Management at ITGlue. The integration is more on their side (given that it is already possible to use the Domotz Public API to retrieve data and then import into ITGlue), but we will also see if we can do the integration in Domotz (for an initial update of custom data). It is on our priority list of developments.

In any case, it would be beneficial, if you have contacts in ITGlue (or through the Community forum) to stimulate this type of discussion.

With regard to ConnectWise Manage, this is on our roadmap to start development before the end of the year. On a similar integration, in the next few weeks we should be able to release the integration with Zendesk (soon after we will work on the ConnectWise Manage for the ticket creation and updates.

• Like 1

Giancarlo
15 hours ago, GregS said:

Is it possible to add tiles to the Domotz interface?

We have discussed this internally. The idea we had about the "Custom Tile" is to allow the user to group within that Tile different devices (user is free to chose his/her rules). We don't have yet this in our roadmap, but it is in the backlog of activities to be developed in the future.

15 hours ago, GregS said:

Add extra buttons/links per device?

I have additional information I gather per device that I would like to link to but not create a whole other user interface.

On the other hand, this is something different which is already in our Roadmap. By beginning of 2020, we should be able to release the capability of allowing users to write their own drivers, to extract data (arbitrarily) out of the device, and make those information available through the Domotz App/WebApp UI. Stay tuned on this.

Finally, it is worth to mention that at the moment, using the Public API, it is already possible to:

- create custom fields to attach to Devices or to Agent entities (as global per the account)

- add, edit and delete the values to any Device / Agent belonging to that account

The Custom Field which you can add with the above API are not available through the Domotz App/WebApp yet, but can only be consumed through Public API calls. If you are interested in this, drop me a private message, and I would be happy to explain more.

MarkB

I have used the API to set up InfluxDB with Grafana to log and graph long term trends of our internet speed tests past the 1 month data retention you have.  Plus use the Grafana dashboard to show key information at a glance.

It would be great to extend the API to allow reading traffic history of select interfaces on devices in the same way we can query 'getspeedtesthistory'.  For example; to log the throughput of a firewalls WAN interface or a core switch.

Happy to test any beta API's

Keep up the great work; 

Spencer

Where do you stand on an integration with ConnectWise Manage for opening tickets upon Domotz notifications?