ddougan

Speed test results

ddougan

Hi,

I'm in the midst of a trial of Domotz, which I have running on a QNAP NAS. I am getting emails from the service with speed test results that are completely out of line with what I see if I run via a browser. The emails are talking about speeds in the mid 20 Mbps, while I'm seeing over 200 Mbps in the browser.

Anyone else seeing this kind of result, or able to explain why I'm getting emails with results that are so different?

Thanks,

Des

Giancarlo
12 hours ago, ddougan said:

Hi,

I'm in the midst of a trial of Domotz, which I have running on a QNAP NAS. I am getting emails from the service with speed test results that are completely out of line with what I see if I run via a browser. The emails are talking about speeds in the mid 20 Mbps, while I'm seeing over 200 Mbps in the browser.

Anyone else seeing this kind of result, or able to explain why I'm getting emails with results that are so different?

Thanks,

Des

Dear Des,

I assume you refer to the email Alerts received from Domotz. Can you please forward those email to our Support, so that the issue can be investigated.

Thanks,

Giancarlo

prosourceav

I am having the same issue. Ookla posts speed tests of ~400Mb down/ ~20Mb up. Domotz is all over the board from 50MB through 160MB down/ ~20MB up. What's the deal?

Generalmark2

I am also seeing the same. up and down only around 10 each ,

browser reporting 80-150 ish.

Giancarlo

Different Internet performance tests measure different things in different ways. M-Lab’s NDT test (used by Domotz Agent) tries to transfer as much data as it can in ten seconds (both up and down), using a single connection to an M-Lab server. Other popular tests (such as Ookla in your screenshot) try to transfer as much data as possible at once across multiple connections to their server.

Moreover protocol is also very different: while M-Lab performs test on TCP stack, Ookla perform the test on HTTP: some ISP provider might give priorities to those type of packets (HTTP ones) just to appear faster when tests are performed with those methodologies.

Neither method is “right” or “wrong,” but using a single stream is more likely to help diagnose problems in the network than multiple streams would.

I would recommend performing a comparison test using the same methodology. Here is a link for that:

https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/